General wiring practices

32 minutes ago, BrokeEF said:

OK, I may need to clarify a bit here.  I am removing (and not replacing) and existing alarm wiring.  So they have already windowed factory wiring, and also cut factory wiring.  I am mostly trying to figure the best method for connecting two straight pieces of wire end to end.

Thank you,
Sean

Wrap the two ends together, solider and use adhesive lined heat shrink or the 3m super 33 as mentioned before.

Edit: I can't spell.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the could have done a nice job that is for sure.  There was a handful of wires that were stripped and not used, most were stripped very close to the connectors.  I have seen worse, but I have also seen much better.  I need to pull the pics off of my camera where I got some more detail.  For now I will just throw up this quick cell phone shot of the interior.

IMG_20170415_185539-600x450.jpg

It is almost all fixed up.  I ended up going with the non insulated crimp connectors with the proper crimping tool and then the heat shrink tubing that seals.  I tried to undo one of the crimps because I caught the other side in my pliers and bent it.  I legit tried to get it off the wire for a few minutes and ended up cutting it off.  I think with the proper crimp tool, and the good heat shrink that they are very strong connections that will last.  I still feel a little odd not soldering them, but almost everything I have seen says that a proper crimp connection is better in a car.  I know the OEM's likely do it more for production than performance, but they also have to be sure that it will hold up and they all use crimp connections.

More pics to come!  I will probably end up starting an actual build thread when I get a little further along the project.  When I do I will be sure to add a link in here as well.

Sean

Archived