Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Help with box design


Glweek

Recommended Posts

Posted

Plans change...due to time restraints and now funding I need a box for a kaption spl1000 but don't have time to build it myself as i work full time and am a full time mech engr student. So which is the better option for my sub?

Sub is the Kaption SPL 1000 dual 4ohm: pg 4-5 of the manual: http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/MERCNXUVSVSF.PDF

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ALPINE-TYPE-R-PORTED-GREY-SUBWOOFER-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-/311530560916?hash=item4888ab1d94:g:JGgAAOSw5dNWn1e0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-SINGLE-1-0-Cu-Ft-PORTED-3-4-MDF-GREY-SUBWOOFER-SUB-SPEAKER-ENCLOSURE-BOX-/311530561415?hash=item4888ab1f87:g:hK8AAOSwCypWn1f9

Both boxes will be good size wise so it looks like it just comes down to "port volume" although they are tuned to the same 36hz I don't really understand what the difference is if its tuned to the same hz.

If you could quickly explain which box would be suited better and WHY, that would be awesome to help me understand how all this works.

Thanks!

Posted

Instead of some eBay shit why don't u buy the box on there website, it's made for that sub not just some  random enclosure .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Posted
1 hour ago, Ron36 said:

Instead of some eBay shit why don't u buy the box on there website, it's made for that sub not just some  random enclosure .

Sorry, not sure what your talking about. Buy the box on kaptions website? They don't have one listed for a 10" and the one I have is a generation older than what they have now so any box that would be listed on kaptions site will be for the new and not the one I have. There also a Canadian company and I'm in the USA so sourcing one wouldn't be to easy....and again there is the $ issue. Trust me I would do it the right way if I had the time/money/tools but I dont. So I have to do the best with what I've got and of the prefabs I've looked at these fit the bill as close as I can get with my budget. 

Posted

Both those eBay boxes leave a lot to be desired.  

How much power are you going to be running and what is your budget for the box?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

@Triticum Agricolam 600w minimum and up to 800w as it has a 2.5in coil and may be able to handle it. I was going to go the route you recommended to me in my other thread of going with a single 12 which is what id like to do later (probably AB xfl or tnt)  but can't right now. Currently i have the kaption in a sealed box (.6 net) running off 600w and it leaves ALOT to be desired so i don't want to drop a bunch of money on a box for this thing if its just a shitty sub no matter what box its in. Id rather put the money into a new sub and legit box than dump money into this one, so the cheaper the better with the max being up to $100 (which i can buy a 12" TNT for or a sheet of 3/4 birch and food for two weeks) if the end performance will be nearly double of the ebay box (cost/performance). 

Posted

I understand the position you are in and you don't want to spend much money.  I have serious concerns about those ebay boxes though.  On one hand its quite impressive they can build and ship a box for under $60 and still make money while doing it.  I can only imagine they are slapping those things togethers as quickly as possible, cutting every corner they can, no shits given, etc.  

The ports on those boxes are a really high aspect ratio and significantly undersized.  At anything more than a couple hundred watts you are probably going to get lots of port noise and considerable loss of output due to port compression.  I wouldn't be surprised if the box leaks and/or comes apart after not too long, in either case if that happens you would be better off with your current sealed box.  I've heard of boxes that were literally put together using a hot glue gun.  I'm not saying thats the case with those boxes, but at that price those are the kinds of shenanigans I'd be expecting.  

I guess you have to decide if you want to take a $60 chance, or save you money and be that much closer to getting what you really want in the end.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

OP here's one box that looks much better and I guess not too much more expensive than the $63 one, it's a little larger than the 1 net but driver displacement will take out part of that, it's really a small difference that I wouldn't expect will be an issue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGE-1-PORTED-SUBWOOFER-MDF-ENCLOSURE-FOR-JL-AUDIO-10W3V3-SUB-BOX-/262580995240?hash=item3d230c04a8:g:kosAAOSwCGVX7JVw&vxp=mtr

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5175 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...