Okay, so I have been doing some research on running a 14v or possibly a 16v system for my sub stage. I have found a lot of useful information, but I still have a few questions.

My plan would be to keep my factory alt and 12v  battery for the factory electrical components, and then run two 270a alts externally regulated to charge at 14v or 16v (Undecided). I know if I do this I will need a bank of batteries at decided voltage (14v or 16v).

The amp I will be running is the Incriminator  IA40.1, which can handle up to 19v. I will be running 6 Sound cubed HDS3 12s, which are rated at 1200rms a piece, Roughly 7200rms total.

I have found out my 12v and 14v or 16v system can share a common ground with no issue. So I guess my main question is, will running a higher voltage system cause added strain on the amplifier or alternators. I have read that higher voltage systems can be unpredictable, but from what I picked up this was only if you were to try to run a single system with step downs etc. and not have two isolated systems.

Basically what I would like to know, is what are the cons of running a 14v or 16v system over a 12v system. This will be my daily.. (kind of, I have a back up truck) but it is not a competition vehicle.

We run a 12v and 16v volt side. One Singer 270 charging at 14v for the 12v side, to keep the vehicles brain in check, and 3 270's for the 16v side, charging at 17.9 on 25 xs power d1600's. 

The higher voltage is a benefit for power being made, as you know,  and is actually EASIER on your amplifers. More voltage, Less stress, less heat.  You dont blow a amp feeding it rad voltage, you heat/stress it, giving it 9v. (low)

The alts couldnt give a fuck if they are putting out 14v or 40v. Running 2 systems is a bit of a bitch, you will need a transpo box, as well as let the alt maker know you want to run higher volt. The regs are different. But, its done, and done a lot, with reliablity, and success. 

Edit- I DO NOT LIKE step downs. Ive seen way to many fail.

I have let the alt manufacturer know I intend on running the alts on a 16v system. I know I will need the external voltage regulator for the alts, but will I need the transpo box in addition to the external regulator, or are they essentially the same thing? I am not familiar with a transpo box.

But you basically answered all my other questions as far as cons, there isnt really any if the charging system is set up correctly.

Archived