Second Skin Audio

Budget 10" subs

bcbrassard

Currently running 2 SQ HDS310's on a RF T1500 @ 1 ohm getting about 1700-1800 watts. Birthsheet says 1951 @ 1 ohms. I feel like they are being under powered and never cared for how the sound in my 03 Lancer. Firing into the cab on a Joe X design. 

I would really like to try a different sub in the enclosure. Not ideal since it was designed for those subs on that power but still wouldn't mind trying something different.

I found on amazon i can get some P3D410 for $242.00 and Some Skar VVD D4 10's for $240. All free shipping so that's what making me consider the change. Living in AK amazons prime rearly ships for free and most other company's are charging $150-200 to ship. Would really like some Sundown SA-10's but about $550 to get 2 up here. I am not looking to spend a bunch of $ right now or rebuild a enclosure. Just throw a different lower rated sub in there to see how it performs. The SQ's rms is 1200-2400max and i just don''t think the T1500 can give them what they need. I would rather overpower end set gains lower with the DD-1.

And thoughts on box performance difference with subs above? If you had to what would you do just for experimental sake.  (yes, i know...save up buy the subs you want and build proper enclosure) don't want to at this time. Just looking for a swap out. Can't remember all the Joe X specs of the box but its about 3.25 cu before displacement with common port tuned to 34.5 hz. It was a bit tight for sub specs but was the biggest i could build and get it in the trunk.

Thanks 

I would put more clean power on them. Anything you put in there would benefit from more clean power. I am running an FSD 5k at .5 ohm on a pair of hds315 and even though I can make them stink, a majority of my listening is at half volume with tons of headroom. Any budget sub you put in there might sound about the same. I think headroom is where it's at imho.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Is there any way you can make the enclosure bigger?

they would most likley perform better if you give them more space, especially since they are being underpowered.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

38 minutes ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

I would put more clean power on them. Anything you put in there would benefit from more clean power. I am running an FSD 5k at .5 ohm on a pair of hds315 and even though I can make them stink, a majority of my listening is at half volume with tons of headroom. Any budget sub you put in there might sound about the same. I think headroom is where it's at imho.

Electrical is maxed out so i wont be able to upgrade amp. i Just feel a more efficient driver would sound better and possible produce more output. IMO anyway 

36 minutes ago, Broke_Audio_Addict said:

Is there any way you can make the enclosure bigger?

they would most likley perform better if you give them more space, especially since they are being underpowered.

It would have to be built in the trunk and not geared up for that or have the experience. Willing to do that with some FI Q's down the road. I am just looking for a bit better sound and response. Basically i haven't liked these subs  from day one. Just playing with options. I have installed P3 drivers before on good power and was happy with them. I have no experience with Skar subs so just looking for a budget temp fix.

Try adding some polyfill to the enclosure, about as cheap a thing as you could possibly try, youll have to attach it to the walls of the enclosure somehow since its ported though, a few staples should do the trick.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I used an open cell foam mattress pad and cut it up. Stapled inside the box keeps it from sounding like a hollow wooden box.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived