Mids and HIghs amp shuts off at hiugh volume

Zach Roberts

i have a 2002 kia spectra with a rockford fosgate punch P1000X1bd 1000 watt amp connected to 2 12 inch punch P2's and an alpine PDX-F4 400 watt 4 channel amp connected to alpine 6x9's in the rear and alpine 6.5" components speakers in the front. kenwood full screen headunit and optima yellowtop battery with big 3 upgrade under the hood. at high volumes my 4 channel will turn off, i turn the stereo back on and the overall volume is decreased, any ideas?

Id say depending on how strong ur alt is now, the first thing i would get out of those three is the H.O.Alternator. If ur stock alt now can push enough power to charge two batteries properly then maybe just get a secondary battery instead of the H.O. Alternator. 

I dont know enough about caps to say much, all ill say is buy from a reputable cap company. Not all caps are worth money, but the ones that are, really are worth it for what they are made for.

I don't think you use enough power to buy an HO alt.

You need to check your grounds first : make them secure, with at least the same size wire than your power wire.

Maybe your battery is too weak, try to check it.

A strong AGM battery under the hood should be enough, maybe you can try a second one in the rear.

Good luck.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2017 at 3:17 PM, Zach Roberts said:

thanks guys, i have a 70 amp alternator, im about to upgrade to zero guage grounds for the alternator and the engine block, plus add a cooling system around the amps, that amp gets hot

You definitely need an alternator.

honestly i dont think you need an alt with that much power. i had a 65 amp alt stock and ran 3k with 4 banks of caps, it wasnt pretty but it worked. i would say its more than likely your eq settings are clipping the signal and causing it to protect. because your sub amp should cut out first since its drawing the bulk of the power. nothing on your headunits eq should be over 0, as in 0 is baseline and you can either go lower or higher equal amounts. once you know that is ok you need to find where your headunit starts clipping, since you say full volume is when it happens, it could also be your going past the point of clean signal, which in most headunits is 3/4 volume. but the only was to know is test the signal with an o-scope or a dd1. once your headunit it squared away id try to cause the issue again, if it still happens, check the voltage at the input of each amp, you may have a bad connection that causes the amp to protect, and lastly check the gains with a multimeter or dd1.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Archived