Second Skin Audio

not pleased with 4-8" sundown

bleedingblue

A shit box can make any sub sound bad or have piss poor output, a good box can make a shit sub sound great and have great output. 

2 10's are roughly 160 sqin of cone area and 4 8's are roughly 200 sqin of cone area. So with the power applied and who knows how well you ear remembers years and years ago loudness, it should be louder since you gained cone area and more power, and went ported. So again. box box box box box.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

7 minutes ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

Dynamic burst is more like a burp, going into clipping. Not music.

Also, the port is too small and tuned to low, plain and simple. (i.e. your box is shit)

Lastly, "100w" amps back in the day were drastically underrated sometimes.

This is the amp I'm pushing the 8's with @1ohm.

6 minutes ago, ChevyBoy95 said:

A shit box can make any sub sound bad or have piss poor output, a good box can make a shit sub sound great and have great output. 

2 10's are roughly 160 sqin of cone area and 4 8's are roughly 200 sqin of cone area. So with the power applied and who knows how well you ear remembers years and years ago loudness, it should be louder since you gained cone area and more power, and went ported. So again. box box box box box.

I have to agree on the box. My last set up I did was back in 2002 when I had 2 15" kicker cvr in a bandpass and had 700 watts going to each one. It slammed. The windshield would flex. I had it 13 years and replaced the subs a couple of times. 

I've never been out of the music realm. In my house I have 4-12's and 2-15's to crank on when I play some DJ Magic Mike lol

I think I'm going to take it to another installer and see what he says on it. I don't know anybody around here that runs sundown but I have listened to several other systems. One guy had 2 15's in a bandpass with 3000 watts going to each 15 and it was not as loud as my old set up of 2-15" CVR's in a bandpass with 700 going to each sub. 

2 hours ago, baron_of_bass said:

Also if Want another box built talk to @audiofanaticz I’m pretty sure he can get a sweet box built for you. 

Unfortunately I will not touch under seat boxes unless the vehicle is in my possession because there is too little room and to get every bit of airspace you need to test fit galore (well you don't need to, but I prefer too).

21 hours ago, bleedingblue said:

Measured the box last night and got

7" tall back of box
10" front of box
15.75" wide on bottom
19.25 wide on top
54.1/8" length

Port
3"wide x 12" long= 7.32" of port area

So if you square the box up it would be 
8.5" tall 
17.5" wide 
54 long

That is 3.4 cu ft of air space if i use .75 size wood. 
Take away 
.44 for the subs
And the 3"x 12" port 
That leaves me with 2.9 cu ft of air space that is available for bass production for the four subs. 

According to the calculator it says 21.86 hertz tuning frequency with that size port. I did stuff the port with rags and it sounded horrible.  Sounded as if the box or subs were coming apart. 

I entered the info into Torres. I get a box with volume of 3.9 cu. ft. I did not include any bracing or extra baffle since you did not mention any. With port 3x12" i get a tuning of 18.38. So you have a few issues. 1) port area is way way way to low. If you use that box and had a port tuned to 32 Hz you would need 89 sq. in. not the 7 you have. 2) tuning is way to low. I would not go below 30 with 8's and most likely be closer to 40.  3) box is pretty big for those subs. 

The good news is you have some room to play with so I would remove the 3" port cut in 2x6" ports at 28" each and see what happens. Should put you at 3.0 cu.ft.  tuned to 38 Hz with port area of 56.5" which is much better looking. You could make ports longer if you want tuning lower but you wont drop much as the box is starting to get smaller, going to 32" each only drops you 1Hz.

4- Sundown SA 8's V3 in a ported box should sound great, sorry you're not finding what you expected.  Amp you're using is fine, 20x already posted but change the box some (port) and I bet you get closer to where you want to be.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

2 hours ago, bleedingblue said:

This is the amp I'm pushing the 8's with @1ohm.

I already know what that amp does, and dynamic burst is a unrealistic number. That 2600w is more so what the amp can actually do on its best day.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived