Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA-12 D2 and PPI P1000.1

DNUTDLUX

After weeks of research, within my budget, i decided to go with the SA-12 D2 sub  "dual 2 ohm" and the PPI p1000.1 amp. videos and reviews looked good. not sure what the best way to wire it is. The 2 channel  amp is 725 watts at 2 ohms per channel. or 1000 watts at 1 ohm. i built a box at 1.83 cu. ft. "final". seemed like people were going bigger with the sealed box than it is recommended so i did too. seems like it might be too big. it sounds ok but not like i thought it would. i do want maximum output but don't want to over drive the sub either. i've seen alot of videos where this sub is shaking the heck out of their car, but not my case.  some advise would be appreciated. 

sundown1.JPG

sundown2.JPG

Hi Joe, I tried that first, tuned to 35 hz like the specification show but still wasn't what I expected. Plus I like to listen to all types of music so  I thought sealed would be better for that. I'll just keep playing with it and see what happens. Thanks.   I should have a picture of that ported box in my garage. 

The SA is not a very good candidate for sealed. If you want a ported box to be more musical then I would tune low and make it on the smaller end of the scale.

It sounds like you are after a more SQ setup then a SPL one in which case I probably would have went with a different sub.

@ckeeler11  you're probably right, I was just trying to get some of the higher notes out of it for rock and try to keep some low bass also.  The first box I made for it was 1.79 ft.³ and tuned to 35 hz.  I wasn't totally impressed.  I have pictures of that box in my garage. And if I spend a third Saturday in a row building a third box I think my wife might kill me, lol.  Anyways I really appreciate the advice. Thanks. 

35 is still pretty high for musical. I would have done 32 or maybe even 30. What did you not like about it ported? should have had a ton of output. Going sealed it rolls off pretty high.

Just reread the original post. The PPI 1000.1 is a mono amp so it only has 1 channel. It has 4 terminals to help with wiring but it is still only 1 channel. I would have wired in parallel for a 1 ohm load. https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22

Also how did you set your gains? 

@ckeeler11  the ported box sounded decent with the Lows but  when I listen to something like Metallica or blink-182, it didn't have that "punch " that I was looking for.  I just looked at the amplifier manual again and it says I can do 2 ohm load to the left and a 2 ohm load to the right channel max. Or a single 1 ohm load bridged.  I figured I could get more power to it if I kept the coils separated. I switched it back to a 1 ohm  load last night and I think it sounded a little better.  I love the 12 Volt by the way, awesome information.  I have the DD-1 to set my gains, one small complaint I have about the amp is that the bass knob is actually a gain control.  So if I set the bass knob at the halfway point like the DD-1 suggests, then as I turn it up it goes into distortion.  I haven't listened  to a song yet did I actually wanted to turn the bass down so I turn the knob all the way up and set the amp gain. 

Archived