Sonic Electronix

Amp with dual intake, how to fuse?

Hi guys,

So I got really confused the other day. I just ordered a B2 Zero 1 4k amp which features dual inputs.

They recommend fusing at 350amps. My friend claims each set of intakes is thus to be fused at 175. Sounds like crap but also makes sense.

Do I fuse both at 350 or 175? Might be a dumb question but I'd rather ask.

Edit: I'm not talking about reducers that enable you to put two sets of wires in to an intake. The amp has two sets of positive and ground intakes. Don't know if that's different. Just thought it's worth mentioning.

Thanks!

You can split it. No problem there.

Or you can fuse for your wire size to prevent the wire from burning from a dead short. Thats the real point of fusing.

Amp manufacturers list a minimum fusing size to ensure you size the cable appropriately and so you dont over heat the amp, as a general guideline. Obv if you wire low enough (speaker impedance) to exceed recommended current then youre gonna need to cool it better or something is going to break at some point. Fusing and cabling for higher current (than the amp requires) doesnt cause a problem since all youre doing is lowering the resistance of the power wire.

The amp wont typically “break” from drawing too much current unless youve wired to low or there is something else wrong with the amp anyway. 

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

I never run fuses on my amp runs, unless the run is in a scary spot, runs under something, which, has never happened, OR, for the org we run in, which requires them, which, i hate. Such a pain in the ass.  

Archived