Crossovers with amp

Cboeger2

I made a post the other day, it seems like based on what you guys are telling me the person that did my car before wired the crossovers a really weird way yet it still worked.

So i plan on learning and doing it myself this time the right way. Can someone tell me if i'm correct based on what I've researched?

So you have a head unit harness and then another harness that you usually splice or solder together to connect to the factory harness that way you don't hacksaw it up.

The "another harness" you connect speaker wire to the front and rear speaker wires, but connect the rest of the wires to the head unit harness. You then run those speaker wires back to the amp and connect them accordingly to the front and rear speaker terminals on the amp. 

Now for the speakers in the door panels, you connect the factory speaker wires to the new aftermarket speaker, while also splicing another wire to that to run into the crossover and connecting it to the "woofer input terminal," same thing goes for the tweeter, and you connect it to the "tweeter input terminal"

Now, all that's left is the crossovers "input terminal." You connect speaker wire to the "input terminal" on the crossover and then run it back to the amp and connect them to the front speaker amp terminals. As in, 4 chan amp youll have a front +-+-, rear +-+-. The left speaker door panel crossover input would go to the left +- on the front amp terminals and then same thing for right door speakers except now its the right front +-.

So in the end, on the amp side, the front speaker terminals will have 2 wires spliced together on each +- terminal.

Is this correct?

Capture.PNG

On 3/13/2018 at 10:04 PM, Cboeger2 said:

I made a post the other day, it seems like based on what you guys are telling me the person that did my car before wired the crossovers a really weird way yet it still worked.

So i plan on learning and doing it myself this time the right way. Can someone tell me if i'm correct based on what I've researched?

So you have a head unit harness and then another harness that you usually splice or solder together to connect to the factory harness that way you don't hacksaw it up.

Correct.

The "another harness" you connect speaker wire to the front and rear speaker wires, but connect the rest of the wires to the head unit harness. You then run those speaker wires back to the amp and connect them accordingly to the front and rear speaker terminals on the amp. 

Not correct. You will fry the amp if you run output from the headunit to output on the amp. If you have an aftermarket headunit it most likely has preouts on the back that you run to the amp to get a signal. If it does not then you either need to wire up the headunit as normal and use a LOC to get a preout signal for the amp or if the amp has High level inputs you can go right from the speaker output to the amps high level input.

Now for the speakers in the door panels, you connect the factory speaker wires to the new aftermarket speaker, while also splicing another wire to that to run into the crossover and connecting it to the "woofer input terminal," same thing goes for the tweeter, and you connect it to the "tweeter input terminal"

Now, all that's left is the crossovers "input terminal." You connect speaker wire to the "input terminal" on the crossover and then run it back to the amp and connect them to the front speaker amp terminals. As in, 4 chan amp youll have a front +-+-, rear +-+-. The left speaker door panel crossover input would go to the left +- on the front amp terminals and then same thing for right door speakers except now its the right front +-.

So in the end, on the amp side, the front speaker terminals will have 2 wires spliced together on each +- terminal.

Is this correct?

Either I am misunderstanding or NO NO NO.

from the amp you can either run new speaker wires to the doors or tap into the factory wires in the dash the biggest determining factor is where you mount th crossovers. Either way though the front L channel on the amp will connect to the L crossover input +-. The Front R output from amp will go to the R crossover input +-. from the crossover you will connect the door speaker (midwoofer) to the WF +- on the crossover (you can use new speaker wire or if the factory is accessible and easy you can use that). Same goes for the otherside.

Capture.PNG

This picture is correct but the way you explain it it is very wrong. Its simple keep it that way.

WOW.....This is why i don't let people work on my car. Short cuts and a i don't give a fuck mentality. In this computer age the info is out there and only takes a bit of researching to find what you want. I guess its also the problem at the same time, not enough people want to be hands on. 

5 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

WOW.....This is why i don't let people work on my car. Short cuts and a i don't give a fuck mentality. In this computer age the info is out there and only takes a bit of researching to find what you want. I guess its also the problem at the same time, not enough people want to be hands on. 

Ya I’ve never been the type of person to short cut anything, quality comes from time and effort and I’m trying to learn the right way. I was mad when I pulled the stuff out of my total car and realized he cut into the factory speaker wires and didn’t even use an adapter Incase I wanted to take them out in the future 

6 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

Correct.

Not correct. You will fry the amp if you run output from the headunit to output on the amp. If you have an aftermarket headunit it most likely has preouts on the back that you run to the amp to get a signal. If it does not then you either need to wire up the headunit as normal and use a LOC to get a preout signal for the amp or if the amp has High level inputs you can go right from the speaker output to the amps high level input.

Either I am misunderstanding or NO NO NO.

from the amp you can either run new speaker wires to the doors or tap into the factory wires in the dash the biggest determining factor is where you mount th crossovers. Either way though the front L channel on the amp will connect to the L crossover input +-. The Front R output from amp will go to the R crossover input +-. from the crossover you will connect the door speaker (midwoofer) to the WF +- on the crossover (you can use new speaker wire or if the factory is accessible and easy you can use that). Same goes for the otherside.

This picture is correct but the way you explain it it is very wrong. Its simple keep it that way.

So what you’re saying is I splice two speaker wires together. One goes to the crossover mounted in the door and the other goes to the amp in the back. I do this for both the tweeter and woofer. Once I have those ran, I attach those to the speaker wire that is attached to the another harness (that is also ran to the back of the amp)

PS, That still doesn’t make any sense to me tho bc what do you put in the input part of the crossover. 

If that still isn’t right, do you have a YouTube or tutorial that I can watch/read so that it does? Like I’ve mentioned, I don’t want to pay someone again I want to learn how to do it myself.

also, the head unit is the brand new avh-2300nex thst has 3 preouts for front/rear and sub 

I commend you for wanting to learn. 

RCA's from head unit to amp.

Output of amp to cross over in.

woofer out of crossover to speaker.

tweeter out of crossover to speaker.

Super simple. Start watching as many videos as you can to learn. Takes time but worth the effort. I don't pay people to work on my car, work ethic is so low anymore than that the quality of work i accept usually doesn't happen. If i make a mistake i learn from it. If some working on my car does i end paying them to fix there mistake. IMO.

30 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

I commend you for wanting to learn. 

RCA's from head unit to amp.

Output of amp to cross over in.

woofer out of crossover to speaker.

tweeter out of crossover to speaker.

Super simple. Start watching as many videos as you can to learn. Takes time but worth the effort. I don't pay people to work on my car, work ethic is so low anymore than that the quality of work i accept usually doesn't happen. If i make a mistake i learn from it. If some working on my car does i end paying them to fix there mistake. IMO.

Ya I get the whole rca thing, I’ve done subwoofers and such, the whole crossover thing though with inputs is throwing me off 

Crossover has 1 input and 2 out puts. Woofer and tweeter.  Not the tweeter might have a -3, 0, +3 positive output but thats for how loud you want you tweeter. Start with -3 and see if thats to your liking. If you change it make sure your system is off before you do it.

research, research, research.

Good luck man.

You might be overthinking it.

The tweeter should have its own line, it plugs into the tweeter output from the crossover and absolutely nothing else, the output might have selectable levels like bcbrass pointed out.

The mid should have its own line, it plugs into the mid/woofer output from the crossover and absolutely nothing else.

The amplifiers left output should ONLY go into the left crossovers input & the right output should ONLY go into the right crossover input. 

48 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

You might be overthinking it.

The tweeter should have its own line, it plugs into the tweeter output from the crossover and absolutely nothing else, the output might have selectable levels like bcbrass pointed out.

The mid should have its own line, it plugs into the mid/woofer output from the crossover and absolutely nothing else.

The amplifiers left output should ONLY go into the left crossovers input & the right output should ONLY go into the right crossover input. 

just to clarify, component set with crossovers will be in the front. I’m also using a 4 Chan amp. Front speakers have crossovers, rear speakers are just coaxials. 

Based on the diagram. I run rcas, remote wire, 8 speaker wires (4 sets of +- (LF, RF, RL, RR)) from the head unit to the amp. Then from the amp side I splice into LF and RF Speaker wires from the head unit and run those new wires to EACH side of the front door panels into the “input of the crossover.” As in one set of speaker wires for the left +- of the front channel of the amp that goes to the left front speakers and another set of speaker wires for the right +- front channel of the ampt that goes to the right front speakers.

I also run the woofer wires to the woofer +- of the crossover and same thing for tweeters. Am I correct now?

Archived