Second Skin Audio

New sub stage design & Ideas help on 03 Lancer.

bcbrassard

Just an FYI, SSA won't get you Ascendant subs. Already tried a few days ago. (before FI put out to public that they're dropping everyone else and only doing FI/AA)

15 minutes ago, reedal said:

Just an FYI, SSA won't get you Ascendant subs. Already tried a few days ago. (before FI put out to public that they're dropping everyone else and only doing FI/AA)

Thanks for the heads up. Still looking for help if i can get 2 12's in 3.63 Cu ft box or if i have to stick with 10's. 

If you can get 3 cu ft net, you should be able to run a pair of 12"s.  My personal opinion is that subs in a box that is a bit on the small side sound better anyway (flatter frequency response, less group delay).  

Some FI SSD 12 or Alpha 12 would work well on the power you have.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

56 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

If you can get 3 cu ft net, you should be able to run a pair of 12"s.  My personal opinion is that subs in a box that is a bit on the small side sound better anyway (flatter frequency response, less group delay).  

Some FI SSD 12 or Alpha 12 would work well on the power you have.  

Largest box i can build and put in is 3.522 cu ft before sub & port, i just checked out the Alpha and i like the rms and price point. Any way you can make a design for me to see if it will be possible? You and Joe x come up with some of the best designs i have seen on here.

I have never tried to put the sub enclosure i have now in with the trunk stripped down. It a tight fit know matter what so its the largest box i can build outside of the vehicle and install. I was searching for more room to make a bigger enclosure, not happening! So if 12's won't fit then i will have to keep running 10's. The Alpha V2s loaded would be my first choice as of now.

16.25"H x 38.25"W x 13"D max outside dimensions. Which puts box @ 3.607 before port & sub displacement.

6 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

I have never tried to put the sub enclosure i have now in with the trunk stripped down. It a tight fit know matter what so its the largest box i can build outside of the vehicle and install. I was searching for more room to make a bigger enclosure, not happening! So if 12's won't fit then i will have to keep running 10's. The Alpha V2s loaded would be my first choice as of now.

16.25"H x 38.25"W x 13"D max outside dimensions. Which puts box @ 3.607 before port & sub displacement.

Thats not going to be enough space for two 12"s, is there anyway you can increase any of those dimensions?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

16 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Thats not going to be enough space for two 12"s, is there anyway you can increase any of those dimensions?

Not without building inside the trunk which i have never done.Bummer, i figured that would be the case. It's what i went thru last time and ended up running the HDS310's. With there rating of 1200-2400 watts i just always thought i didn't have enough power to push them. They are still stiff as fuck after banging on them for solid year +. I am ok running different 10's with a lower rms rating to get the most out of them. The Alpha's look nice, i don't have the knowledge to decide on single 2 ohm subs vs DVC and if i should get them loaded with everything or not.

2 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

Not without building inside the trunk which i have never done.Bummer, i figured that would be the case. It's what i went thru last time and ended up running the HDS310's. With there rating of 1200-2400 watts i just always thought i didn't have enough power to push them. They are still stiff as fuck after banging on them for solid year +. I am ok running different 10's with a lower rms rating to get the most out of them. The Alpha's look nice, i don't have the knowledge to decide on single 2 ohm subs vs DVC and if i should get them loaded with everything or not.

Probably the best thing to do would be to give Fi a call and they can tell you what all the options do and then you can decide if you want them or not.  I think people assume all the options make the sub "better" but really its just makes it "different".  For example, things like an extra spider are going to increase mechanical power handling, which would be good, but its also likely going to increase the Fs and lower the Vas, which may not be what you want depending on your situation.  Extra power handling is only beneficial if you actually need it anyway. 

Builds:

49 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Probably the best thing to do would be to give Fi a call and they can tell you what all the options do and then you can decide if you want them or not.  I think people assume all the options make the sub "better" but really its just makes it "different".  For example, things like an extra spider are going to increase mechanical power handling, which would be good, but its also likely going to increase the Fs and lower the Vas, which may not be what you want depending on your situation.  Extra power handling is only beneficial if you actually need it anyway. 

Thanks for the input.

Archived