Second Skin Audio

Which would You choose?

In the process of getting another system prepared for my single cab 1996 c1500. This time I'm looking to change it up a little. I'm wanting to build a center console box most likely with an aeroport setup. This is my dilemma.. Would a Sundown X12 or 2 Sundown U-Series 10's be louder on relatively the same power output? I've seen the thread discussing cone area and it has me wondering. The x12 is more budget friendly, which is my goal on this build but still with quality parts. The x12 is most likely be paired with the SAE-2000. As far as the U-Series 10's I'm unsure on power wise but somewhere 2000-3000rms watts total to both subs combined. Looking for something box wise in 30-33 hertz area. I haven't looked at my biggest dimension options but I think I can squeeze in a box in the 2-2.5 cube area while still looking as factory as possible and nothing "janky" and dumb looking. I plan to use Bassahaulics for my box dimensions. I can supply the rest of the electrical plans and speakers as well, but figured it isn't needed on this topic. Any info is appreciated as this is my first box build hence why I'm willing to pay for a box layout.

What kind of music do you prefer? rap/hiphop or rocknroll/metal?

Do you prefer the long drawn out bass notes or the punchy kick drums?

1 thing to consider is the box size port area requirements for each sub. U series requires a smaller box, and less port area, than the X series does, both with the same Xmax (30mm.) Given that information and the price difference, I would probably go with the option you did not list, 1 U 12.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

In the same spec box (2.0 cu ft tuned to 32 Hz) on the same power (2000 watts) the performance between a single X-12 (green) and two U-10s (yellow) is going to be very similar.  Above 50 Hz the U-10s have a bit more output (due to the greater cone area), but its not a huge difference.  

image.png.afcc2538ac6968e88c11f8e8ea1062be.pngIn 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

26 minutes ago, Hellbilly429 said:

1 thing to consider is the box size port area requirements for each sub. U series requires a smaller box, and less port area, than the X series does, both with the same Xmax (30mm.) Given that information and the price difference, I would probably go with the option you did not list, 1 U 12.

Sub for sub, the X seems like it would play lower and louder. I could be wrong. Am I underestimating the U series? 

Music is 90% rap/decaf/stuff that hits low in 30’s. Occasional rock but not enough for my to justify raising the Hz on box design. For the price of the X, it seems best in its range (~$500). I used to hav a DD 9512 on a M3 but it’s just a little out of my budget on this build. And I’m curious to see how the Sundown stuff performs. That graph really helps put things into perspective as well. X from that graph seems like better option for me. 

I'm seeing about a 1 db difference between the 2 with 2000 watts applied in the box sizes recommended on the Sundown site (darker green is the X 12):

SundownX12vU12_zpsugzkkcel.jpg

You can always reach out to Sundown and see if you can get Jacob's opinion on this. They were supposed to replace the Z v3's, but were made to be way more affordable. I am sure they are pretty damn close to the X series, but at half the cost.

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

I'm just looking out for your budget. To be honest with you, the sub that you feel you will not regret buying is the sub you should go with. Buy what you want, and you're more likely to not have the "what if" moment afterwards.

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

For $500 I see the X being "budget friendly". Im saving some money on building the box myself vs a custom box which would cost me in the $450-500 range. The U series looks great, but I think I'll go with the X since I know it is a performer. If only the ZV wasn't far out of my budget I'd go with that monster. What would yall suggest on electrical to stay at a decent voltage? I believe stock alt is a 140. I would like to run 1, 2 batteries at most under the hood. Speakers will probably consist of Morel Maximo 6 components and matching 4" in the rear or possibly Rock Fosgate on something in the 300x4 range on speakers

Hey man, go with what you like! I just saw on Facebook that Sundown just put the U series on sale putting them at $280 for a 10, and $290 for a 12, just fyi. I secretly just want you to test the sub out for me so we can see what a single can do, but not really, lol.

As for electrical, I would start with 2 batts, AGM or Lithium (or 1 of each, whatever your budget allows), Big 3 done in 1/0, and a 2/0 cable run from battery to a distro, same for ground. if you have the money, get a high output alt. If not, try it without and see if it performs to your satisfaction without too much voltage drop.

Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

Stock rear speakers

Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

Archived