component tweeters reverse polarity?

CorNut

I have some Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6.5" components, I've had them in my truck for a few years now. Out of curiosity, I took a tester to them and both tweeters say they're reversed polarity. Is that normal?

A lot of the Infinity options were 2 ohm, this set was 4 ohm. I'm assuming I didn't wire them both wrong & they're designed to run at 4 ohm by running the components in series? The crossovers are buried in my dash, it'd be a lot of work to make sure they're wired correctly. If it were just 1 of the tweeters, that'd be one thing but since it's both I'm assuming I didn't make a mistake.

Is my thinking correct?

polarity of a tweeter mean minimal. cancellation is likely to not be heard since the cycles per second is so many.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 3:16 PM, CorNut said:

I have some Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6.5" components, I've had them in my truck for a few years now. Out of curiosity, I took a tester to them and both tweeters say they're reversed polarity. Is that normal?

A lot of the Infinity options were 2 ohm, this set was 4 ohm. I'm assuming I didn't wire them both wrong & they're designed to run at 4 ohm by running the components in series? The crossovers are buried in my dash, it'd be a lot of work to make sure they're wired correctly. If it were just 1 of the tweeters, that'd be one thing but since it's both I'm assuming I didn't make a mistake.

Is my thinking correct?

I wouldn't know for a fact, so consider this as an idea. The passive crossovers use 2nd order filters. What this means is the polarity of the signal becomes reversed at and around the crossover frequency.

This same effect can be countered by reversing the speaker wire polarity of the tweeter when it's a 2-way crossover. The reason to do that is to prevent a dip in the response at the mid-woofer + tweeter crossing frequency.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, mothra said:

polarity of a tweeter mean minimal. cancellation is likely to not be heard since the cycles per second is so many.

If you are into time alignment, phase is VERY important. And with time alignment, Yes ... There will be a BIG noticeable difference in sound placement.

To The Op: change your polarities to the passive crossover, not the tweeter. Depending no how you listen to your music will determine if there will be a noticeable difference. I would always run normal polarity unless a need for a change to set up accurate phase.

Hope this helps ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived