Sonic Electronix

90's American made amps... Better why?

15 hours ago, DiBo said:

I'm 38 years old and I first started driving in 1995. I had two punch 40s powering 4 punch DVC 10s in a 1985 extended cab Toyota. Those amps were pretty good but not as good as my Apocalypse AAK-4000 now imo. I don't care what anyone says... (Figure of speech)  the old Orion hcca amps are nowhere as good as these new Korean boards. I seem to recall plenty friends of mine that had cash burning up every brand of so-called great American amps. Us amps, precision power, Phoenix gold, Autotek mean machine, mtx, mmats, xtant, fosgate, even old zapco and nakamichi ( Japan I believe) amps. I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just curious as to why people swear that those old amps were something special? Thd, signal to noise ratio, efficiency? Someone enlighten me. it also seems to be all the people that couldn't afford them that's swear they were awesome. The subs back then were garbage also. Lol. I'm sorry but fa realz... Car audio myth and folklore?

Subs back then were garbage huh ... What about the Pioneer truck that was the very first to hit a 160 db legal ???

Most people that can't understand what us old guys talk about have no idea the way competition was back then ... Yea, you may have had car audio back then, but not what people/vehicles had to go through in competition back in the early 90s ... It's VERY different than the way it is now ... Just Saying

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

2 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Subs back then were garbage huh ... What about the Pioneer truck that was the very first to hit a 160 db legal ???

Most people that can't understand what us old guys talk about have no idea the way competition was back then ... Yea, you may have had car audio back then, but not what people/vehicles had to go through in competition back in the early 90s ... It's VERY different than the way it is now ... Just Saying

Yeah I was actually saying something about that statement I made as you were posting. Power dvc subs and kicker Solo Baric and cerwin Vega strokers, JL w6, Etc amazing SQ

3 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Subs weren't garbage either. I shouldn't have made a statement like that. But let's just be honest here I would rather have a Sundown sa 12 then the first generation JL audio dub sixes

If I could get my hands on original Polk Audio DB 12s, I'd rip out my 15 in a heart beat.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

8 hours ago, EP95 said:

New amps just don't compare style wise in my opinion unless you start getting in to big money like linear power

Back then, Linear Power's cost did not stand out like it does now. Strong amplification was expensive back then.

I don't remember what year it was that image dynamics put out their sound quality subs, but they got good reviews and I ran the 1st gen 15" powered by a punch 60. Maybe 92 or 93. Before that I had subs wired to my kenwood head unit and had not heard of a car amplifier yet. I think they were pioneer but don't remember. I remember buying straight outa compton on cassette and bumping it on that kenwood/pioneer setup. That did sound like ass but I played it loud and distorted, ha ha ha. I was making $3.35/hr when I started doing this and stuff was relatively expensive back then.

1 hour ago, DiBo said:

Subs weren't garbage either. I shouldn't have made a statement like that. But let's just be honest here I would rather have a Sundown sa 12 then the first generation JL audio dub sixes

I'd still take the w6 lmao, i have alot of memories with older JL products and the 1st gen W6 was something special during its time.  

Imho, ofcourse

Archived