Second Skin Audio

Which would be better?

Hey y'all....small fry stupid question for you...im probably just over thinking it

Example: Which would be better for a dual 4ohm 500wrms 1500w peak sub over powering it by 250wrms @ 4ohms or over powering it by 250wrms @ 1ohm? Would one or the other put more strain on the SUB? TIA

Wire to 1ohm, you start with 4 by the end of impedance rise you will be in the very low end of the output.  Just make sure its clean power. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

So I understand your question right:

You're asking the difference between 750w at 1 ohm as opposed to 750w at 4 ohm in a 500w rated driver?

Would I be correct in assuming it's the same driver, with the difference being series vs. parallel wiring?

In this case, power is power for the sub. Though, of note, a higher presented load to the amp is generally correlated with a higher damping factor - i.e. the amplifier's ability to "brake" any inertial movement of the cone after the signal stops.

If you had a choice between different coils, for what it's worth, I've found that lower resistance coils tend to cool better. I have no data to back it up, and I know some folks might disagree with me. It's just been my personal experience. If anyone would like to debate that, shoot me a PM. I don't know enough about how this stuff is constructed would be interested to discuss it further, but we needn't hijack OP's thread.

Just so you are aware, you can not wire to 1ohm or 4ohm with a single 4ohmdvc subwoofer. Your options are only 2ohm or 8ohm. 

As Snow said, power is power. There are some indirect differences that occur with the amplifier depending on the load presented, but nothing that will affect the performance of the sub to the point of noticing

8 hours ago, reedal said:

Just so you are aware, you can not wire to 1ohm or 4ohm with a single 4ohmdvc subwoofer. Your options are only 2ohm or 8ohm. 

As Snow said, power is power. There are some indirect differences that occur with the amplifier depending on the load presented, but nothing that will affect the performance of the sub to the point of noticing

Lol i didnt even notice that, just seen 1 or 4 lol. 

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

On 4/26/2019 at 5:03 AM, reedal said:

Yea im aware thanx....i guess I should have clarified that it was 2 subs not just one but you guys got where I was going with it....thanks for the knowledge

Archived