Second Skin Audio

no distortion or clipping. subwoofers smelling and getting warm.

my amp isn't clipping but songs around 30hz my subs start smelling a little and i can feel the dust cap getting slightly warm

amp is only giving out around 200 watts RMS at best to each subwoofer (12v PSU hooked up to amp. voltage not dropping much below 12v) so idk why they are smelling like that.

they don't smell at 20hz or at 40hz even playing a tone continuously for minutes. but around 30hz they start smelling within a minute.

I have low pass filter turned down pretty low on my amp.

the total current draw is just under 30 amps measured with a DC clamp meter at the amp power input.

i used a tweeter and my ears to check for clipping and its definitely not clipping or distortion. i just don't understand why my subs are still smelling a bit. its not super strong smelling but i can smell it noticeably.

Are my subs just overrated or something? is the box too small for them? its a ported box tuned around 40 to 50hz not sure exactly but thats where its the loudest

on the manufacturer's website for the individual subs the specs are completely different than the ones that come preloaded in an ported enclosure that i have. so i dont know whats going on.

the subs are two 12-inch 4-ohm single coil subs MTX Terminator brand subwoofers with 2-inch coils i think they are rated 100 to 200 watts RMS but im not sure. because the manufactures website shows the specs having a 1.5" coil but these definitely have a 2" coil and the basket design and surround and magnet are different. and mine have pole piece venting spider venting and cone venting under the dustcap.

not just spider venting with 4 holes in the cone under the dustcap like the individual subs show on the manufacturer's website.

Not fresh out of the box. ive played them a fair bit with the gain a bit lower for a while at least a month. only just now got the gain set just right (just before distortion)

the coils still look flawless. i dont know why they are smelling when they arent even getting any distortion or clipping

because i used a tweeter hooked up with the subs and put my ear up to it as i adjusted the gain and turned it down as soon as i heard any distortion. and i also listened to the subs at the same time just to make sure. and its definitely not clipping.

if it was clipping its easily noticeable with the tweeter hooked up. I have it below clipping and below distortion point. so 1% or less

i tested a few different frequencies just to make sure its not clipping at any frequency. 30hz seems to be where my subs start clipping the soonest so thats where i set it at.

they dont smell super bad. just a little bit

and does that mean they will stop smelling after a while if they are only smelling a tiny bit when being pushed hard? or does any smell at all mean they are about to die really soon?

If th

37 minutes ago, realflow100 said:

and does that mean they will stop smelling after a while if they are only smelling a tiny bit when being pushed hard? or does any smell at all mean they are about to die really soon?

Yes if it's just excess glue. As long as the smell isn't crazy run it for a few days and see if it goes away. Might need to turn the gain down just a bit if it doesn't. I'd be more concerned about the smell if they were older subs. 

I think my subwoofer knob/bass knob is wearing out or something because right as im turning it up to full it gets more "granular" in volume steps as i turn the knob. instead of smoothly. my subs get louder in noticable volume increments.

I plan on getting a whole new amp with a built in bass knob/volume knob that doesnt go in line with the RCA connectors like the one I have. maybe it will be better then i can set the gain with it completely out of the circuit before plugging it in then it wont be so weird when i increase the volume close to full.

i checked and its not causing any clipping or anything. its just the potentiometer is wearing out (its not a gain/bass boost knob. just controls the volume seperately from my computers speaker volume

Archived