Second Skin Audio

Randomly Clipping Or Bottoming Out?

My brother has two Audiopipe TXX-BD2-15 's on a Skar R-2000.1D amp wired to 1ohm.

The box is an Atrend TL-15DV.

• Box volume:  1.75 cubic feet (per chamber)
  • Total box volume:  3.5 cubic feet
  • Tuning Frequency:  42 Hz

He only has one regular car battery under the hood, and big 3 upgrade with all 0 gauge wiring, with a 120amp alternator. It only ever drops to 13.2 volts.

On 75% of songs, they play at full volume with no issues. But sometimes (mostly on hard kicks or weird bass notes), the subs make a loud clipping noise that almost sounds like bottoming out. Before messing with the subsonic filter on his amp, damn near every song clipped mostly on low notes. Is the box the issue, power, or something else?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

On 5/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, Mike4068 said:

What's the ssf slope? What's the ssf set at? 

ssf on the amp is set to 26hz. He was clipping bad on notes around that and below. When i put on the ssf, it hits lows now just quieter and doesnt clip. It only does it right when the note first hits randomly. One  time a song will be fine, play that song another day and it clips randomly again when a certain note hits.

• 5 weeks later...

Still doing it even after turning the gain down. It will play a section of a song at full volume fine one time, then try to play it again the next day and it will make the bottoming out noise. Still not sure what's causing it.

How much do you weigh?

Sit on the box. See if it still does it

Hard to know for sure without hearing the box, but I can tell you that 42 hz is a relatively high tuning frequency.  Cone excursion is going to go up fast below that.  I wouldn't be surprised if sub is bottoming out from trying to play too low.  You may try raising the subsonic filter up to 32 Hz and see if that fixes the problem.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Happened to me with my box at 21Hz only, but not 20 and below.. Weird. But my box is tuned to 26Hz (In theory). I have my Subsonic set to 22Hz and it has never happened since. 🙂 Also giving the subs twice the rated power 😂

Also tried raising the subsonic and it seemed to do the same. It happens on all kinds of notes not just lows, honestly lows it happens less. Sweeps and kicks do it the most.

1 hour ago, jcody_parker said:

Also tried raising the subsonic and it seemed to do the same. It happens on all kinds of notes not just lows, honestly lows it happens less. Sweeps and kicks do it the most.

Have you sat on the box yet?

Archived