Second Skin Audio

Seat Box

Has anyone ever done a subwoofer box that doubled as a rear seat? I have a 2017 crew cab Colorado. People ride with me and I want to add bass but there is so little room. Just trying to see what I can do or any opinions anyone else has for me. I thank any and all that chime in.

center console replacement

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

14 minutes ago, Cybermanlonnie said:

I thought about that but would I get the same output as I would with a pair of shallow 8s under the rear seat? The console is so narrow.

this was built for a truck similar ... Pair of 8" drivers ...

39042654062_large.jpg

39042654063_large.jpg

The PVC Ports are front firing just below the drivers ... 28 htz I Think

Sorry for the large pics ... Could not downsize them ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

• 10 months later...

I have a 2016 canyon crew cab I have been trying to figure out how I want to do mine.

There are some upfire and down fire boxes out there, that take shallow subs upto 4", and a tripple 8.

In my crossfire I have full sake setup (i know you guys don't like skar here)

Kenwood kmr-d558bt

Skar tx65c components on factory amp

Skar tweeters on dash beside a pillars
Oem tweeters in door on factory amp

Skar skv2-1500.1 amp powering
2 Skar zvx -8 subwoofers in 2 seperate sealed boxes
And still have plenty of room for my luggage and bags every week icon_smile.gif
If I get tired, it will keep me awake, hahah

Have 4 tweeters installed.
With my 2 sub boxes, I made them so I can fit 4 armor cans in between them, and carry some tools.

setup works great.

I also have a new pair of vvx8 I have had awhile

but

they will not work, I am keeping my back seat open.

I do alot of traveling every week and I like my long hours of cruising with a good stereo.

but i have not done much with a crew cab before and keeping everything hidden.

a high power tripple 10 would be nice, but i don't see it happening.

6.5 subs look like they have came along way in past years, wondering if some would compare.

I could make the box to fit under the back seat and have around 1.3 cu ft inside, and might be able to fit 6 - 6.5's front facing, I have seen some 6.5's requiring as little and .15 cu ft, with the sub would be about .2 and get me to 1.2 of the 1.3

with a upfire box under the rear seat, how much loss is there with the seats down?

and experience in good 6.5 subs ?

some say they work for lower frequency around 30 hz which is damn good for a 6.5 I thought, and one I seen has a xmax of 16.1 (must be some good spiders)

I have bose package with 7 speakers (7th being center channel)

I will be upgrading all.

thinking about changing factory amp with another with high level inputs and sub rca out to run my skar 1500

Would 4 or 6,  6.5 's even come close to comparing to the 2 zvx 8's i have been running, I don't want to down grade 

In my current build in my 2011 Silverado, my backseat is my sub box. 4 12" jl audio w6's in a sealed box. Subs facing down. Upholstered to look like the stock bench seat with a little cushioning. Seat belts are fully functional. If you pull the back of the seat down, that's my amp rack. If you look through my back window, you'd never be able to tell.... now the cons.... it's uncomfortable as hell! No one taller than 5'1"can sit back there without hitting there heads (though I'm sure if you where to get smaller subs, that wouldn't be a problem), and I since have had 2 little girls. I wouldn't trust my girls sitting on top of a car seat made of MDF. My friends.... yeah, they'll be fine lol. I'm in the process of buying new equipment to put bigger, badder subs in the bed, do a blow through, and put my actual back seat back in the truck so my girls can ride with me in the truck. If you'd like, I can go out and take some pictures if you're curious. Let me know

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Well, you could always use the same idea with smaller subs or maybe just 2 instead of 4. I thought that was what you where asking, if anyone had done it. Let me know if you change your mind

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 5/29/2019 at 11:42 PM, Cybermanlonnie said:

Has anyone ever done a subwoofer box that doubled as a rear seat? I have a 2017 crew cab Colorado. People ride with me and I want to add bass but there is so little room. Just trying to see what I can do or any opinions anyone else has for me. I thank any and all that chime in.

Talk about a brown note. That would be funny to surprise your friends with 😂

Look into down firing sub boxes or ones that have the subwoofers recessed by a second or third baffle to protect them with a mesh or grill. You are not gonna have a lot of room so I figure either two 10s or four 8s will be able to fit with a decent tuning of 30-40hz. 

Archived