Help with Time Alignment and Speaker Level

Ripkon

2 minutes ago, mothra said:

the passive crossovers are crossed at 3.5kHz. I'd start by crossing there or higher.

I would not cross the mid higher. It will start to beam.  Plug that's way to high for a mid to be playing. Take the passive out. Run it active and cross everything  a bit lower to start

2 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

I would not cross the mid higher. It will start to beam.  Plug that's way to high for a mid to be playing. Take the passive out. Run it active and cross everything  a bit lower to start

i stated i was running active. the passive is 3.5k i have it active with 31k

Mid 100hz-31.5k

tweet 31.5k

2 minutes ago, Ripkon said:

i stated i was running active. the passive is 3.5k i have it active with 31k

Mid 100hz-31.5k

tweet 31.5k

Ah ok. I misread it.  That would still be to high for my liking.  That tweeter has an fs of 1100. So passing ot even at 2200 or 2500 would be optimal.  Making sure of course you can the tweeter to protect it

5 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

Ah ok. I misread it.  That would still be to high for my liking.  That tweeter has an fs of 1100. So passing ot even at 2200 or 2500 would be optimal.  Making sure of course you can the tweeter to protect it

Thanks for the info. Should i cross the mid at the same place? Also when you do time alignment do you change the speaker level on either side?

Just now, Ripkon said:

Thanks for the info. Should i cross the mid at the same place? Also when you do time alignment do you change the speaker level on either side?

Attenuation  is something you'll need to run an rta  to find out.  But if you use a 24db slope you cross the tweeter right where you cut off the midrange and ot should blend

Just now, ToNasty said:

Attenuation  is something you'll need to run an rta  to find out.  But if you use a 24db slope you cross the tweeter right where you cut off the midrange and ot should blend

Gotcha. Im just now getting into a little sound quality and have a lot to learn. Ive been reading as much as i can. 

Just now, ToNasty said:

It's what I prefer. More fun but more work in a way

I can see why. Just having a cheap pair of 150$ components sounds amazing with .Flac files. I couldn't imagine hearing an actual SQ build. Thanks for the info you gave me

Never never run a 2 way active or passive setup at a 24db slope. Adjust both mids and highs to a 12 dB slope and leave it there. 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

7 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Never never run a 2 way active or passive setup at a 24db slope. Adjust both mids and highs to a 12 dB slope and leave it there. 

It's what I've always done unless I can't get the mid and tweeter blend correctly then I'll cross at a 12db slope and cross the tweeter a few hundred hz higher than I have the mid crossed at.  Just my opinion

Archived