Decided to go 2 way active!

AaronT

Finishing up tomorrow.

Got all interior back in, floors deadened, quarters, door skins.

Got the big holes in doors covered with ⅛" abs, heat gun formed to contours, butyl rope gasketed, and rivet but every 3 inches . Going to lay the deadener over top tomorrow, get terminals soldered up for tweeters and 6.5" woofers. 

I'm making all speaker connections at amps with 10g ec5 connectors to make rack quick disconnect in the event I need the space for a big item.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay install complete. One issue popped up, haven't had a chance to hook up tweeters as when I was setting amp gains I noticed I was not getting any voltage from rear outputs of the t400-4. It got sent to Rockford certified repair guys in Illinois, and will be back here this week.

I have been just listening to it with no frequency above 3.15k. just sub and mids. The mid bass is as punchy and tight just as I hoped. But I don't really care for the Sundown sd3-8. It's not a good match in this setup. 

I ordered a Rockford p2 8 and also a Alpine type r 8. Both from Amazon. I'm going to try both out for a few days and return the one I like least 

But I'm stuck with the sundown as I'm not paying shipping to send it back (non Amazon purchase) 

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

Okay install complete. One issue popped up, haven't had a chance to hook up tweeters as when I was setting amp gains I noticed I was not getting any voltage from rear outputs of the t400-4. It got sent to Rockford certified repair guys in Illinois, and will be back here this week.

I have been just listening to it with no frequency above 3.15k. just sub and mids. The mid bass is as punchy and tight just as I hoped. But I don't really care for the Sundown sd3-8. It's not a good match in this setup. 

I ordered a Rockford p2 8 and also a Alpine type r 8. Both from Amazon. I'm going to try both out for a few days and return the one I like least 

But I'm stuck with the sundown as I'm not paying shipping to send it back (non Amazon purchase) 

reverse the phase on the sub.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

2 hours ago, ToNasty said:

Send me the 8 depending on what vc in has. I can use it. and I think you're doing something wrong.  The sundown is way better than the rockford 

The issue I feel is the magnet being almost the same diameter as the sub. I had to use 3" of spacers to fit it in the factory enclosure, and I feel the spacers are choking the subs airspace.

Imagine it in a 7⅜ diameter mdf tube that stops about 2 inches from bottom of sub. There's only about a ¼" gap on either side of magnet and it gets tighter up towards the basket. The spider back sees a bit if clearance but above the spider the rings are tight, I'm thinking it's not seeing air

3 minutes ago, AaronT said:

The issue I feel is the magnet being almost the same diameter as the sub. I had to use 3" of spacers to fit it in the factory enclosure, and I feel the spacers are choking the subs airspace.

Imagine it in a 7⅜ diameter mdf tube that stops about 2 inches from bottom of sub. There's only about a ¼" gap on either side of magnet and it gets tighter up towards the basket. The spider back sees a bit if clearance but above the spider the rings are tight, I'm thinking it's not seeing air

If the sub is sealed then doesn't matter. Sealed space is sealed space. ported that would be an issue 

17 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

If the sub is sealed then doesn't matter. Sealed space is sealed space. ported that would be an issue 

What I'm saying is it's basically sealed from spider pack up. The cone is not seeing the enclosure volume.

The spider landing back is seeing the airspace, not the cone

It's just an odd shape of basket being Soo beefy and wide the mdf spacers are tight to the basket and there is no taper until just before the spider landings. There like an, at most ⅛ inch gap that cone is open to the rest of the enclosure.

A normal shaped sub would taper sooner and get that cone exposed to the airspace more effectively. And even require only 1.5" of spacers.

There's an odd shape to the box that the magnet hit that forced me to space it more or try to reform that area with a heat gun. The enclosure is ½" abs

Archived