Jump to content
 
 

Sign in to follow this  
Scotnemily

Dual input fusing advice.

Recommended Posts

Hi I am trying to figure out the proper way to fuse my new amp. It has a single input but came with a dual input adapter. Here is a screenshot of the manual.

29097EB8-6A2A-4FC5-97A3-EBD613C82286.thumb.png.b25ce1044fb9a965d6a4485e3af79d64.png

it is not internally fused so the 200 amp is to protect it. My question is. When I fuse both leads, do I fuse them each with a 100 amp fuse, or a 200? Or should I just run both leads out of a 200 amp fuse? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, you aren't going to gain anything using that dual adapter unless you are trying to gain a tenth of a db for spl competition. If you are going to use it you can either run 100 on each or 200 before the split. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fuses protect wires from catching fire if there were to be an electrical short, thats it.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

I help people get loud that live down my way and do installs at gas stations for people who flag me down at red lights.  I work at a space agency so Im louder than you by default.  

On 4/30/2014 at 11:23 PM, meade916 said:

hahahah Gunnem that shit is funny bro

On 7/4/2014 at 10:22 AM, Soccerballzs said:

Gunnem You crack me up!! Love the pics!!!

On 6/12/2014 at 12:58 PM, JEFFYBOI said:

You got a funny personality. Which is cool man, unlike some of the dicks on here. :ph34r:

Be Nice to EVERYONE or ignore them: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/198751-bickering-acting-an-asshole-ban

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks I guess I won’t mess with using the adapter. They came with the amp so I figured it couldn’t hurt to use them. Sounds like it isn’t worth the hassle for my system.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can't hurt using the adapter but you shouldn't need to use it. Also if you are going to fuse and the amp has a chance to draw 200A, and you fuse both wires at 100A, you might pop a fuse because you can't guarantee the current will be divided equally and both wires are exactly the same. Plus like Gunnem said, fusing protects the wire not the module. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fuses used between batteries protects the wire, the fuse between the battery and the amp protects the amp from a power surge or a short. That's why you fuse your battery wires at the wire rating and the amp fuses to the amp rating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the good advice I do appreciate it! I do have a background working with car audio. It has been 20+ years though since I have done much so I will admit I am a little rusty. Mainly I wasn’t sure about rather I should split the 200 amps into 2 100 amp fuses (I am actually using a circuit breaker) or use two 200 amp fuses. I was worried that any one leg might pull over the 100 amps, but I didn’t want it to take more than 200 amps to pop since the amp manual stated 200 amps. I was just trying to go with their spec. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

The fuses used between batteries protects the wire, the fuse between the battery and the amp protects the amp from a power surge or a short. That's why you fuse your battery wires at the wire rating and the amp fuses to the amp rating. 

The fuse is always there to protect the wire. If you short something internally on an amp it's going to be ruined regardless of fusing. A fuse is there to protect from a fire. 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

The fuses used between batteries protects the wire, the fuse between the battery and the amp protects the amp from a power surge or a short. That's why you fuse your battery wires at the wire rating and the amp fuses to the amp rating. 

sorry bud nope, by the time the fuse pops your amp is toast.  you would be amazed how much time can pass between the amp blowing and the fuse finally letting go.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

I help people get loud that live down my way and do installs at gas stations for people who flag me down at red lights.  I work at a space agency so Im louder than you by default.  

On 4/30/2014 at 11:23 PM, meade916 said:

hahahah Gunnem that shit is funny bro

On 7/4/2014 at 10:22 AM, Soccerballzs said:

Gunnem You crack me up!! Love the pics!!!

On 6/12/2014 at 12:58 PM, JEFFYBOI said:

You got a funny personality. Which is cool man, unlike some of the dicks on here. :ph34r:

Be Nice to EVERYONE or ignore them: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/198751-bickering-acting-an-asshole-ban

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, corey0928 said:

The fuse is always there to protect the wire. If you short something internally on an amp it's going to be ruined regardless of fusing. A fuse is there to protect from a fire. 

 

37 minutes ago, Gunnem said:

sorry bud nope, by the time the fuse pops your amp is toast.  you would be amazed how much time can pass between the amp blowing and the fuse finally letting go.

Then everything I learned about circuitry in school was wrong. 

  • Haha (+1 Rep) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...