Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

Is anyone familiar with these?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO20MM/JBL-Stadium-GTO20M.html

I think they will work in my factory midrange location. Also found these.

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-KAPPA-20MX-Midrange-Crossover-Enclosure/dp/B076T2SVHQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=50MM+DOME&qid=1571835067&s=car&sr=1-1

Not sure yet how I am doing this, but I am thinking a good shallow Neo 5.25" a 50mm dome mid and a 1" tweeter in the factory locations might sound good enough without modding the door panel.

Alot of people hate on jbl. Thier higher prices stuff sounds great.

I had a set of power p660c comps that sound as good as t2s

Thier anniversary gti set is phenomenal.

The stadium series replaced the power series I believe and is thier better line

Ok so here is an Idea I am playing with.

I need to find a shallow 5.25" speaker. I am going to test the Kenwood KFC-D131. Getting one pair free. (old dealer contact hookup I have spent more than $5000 at their store in the past and when I told them I was thinking about getting back into car audio and what I was looking at for speakers right now, they said they would mail me out a set of the kenwoods no charge.)

These should fit, though they are coaxials and the tweeter will not really be playing for now due to the factory crossover. I will see if I can describe clear enough what my thoughts are. I have a few options and ways I could swing on this.

1st. just throw the kenwoods in on the factory amp for now. leave the factory tweeter and midrange as is. this will hopefully be the quickest and easiest and give a boost to sound quality.

2nd throw the kenwoods in and disconnect them only from my factory amp and hook them to the A606. leaving the other 2 speakers in the door on factory power. this should improve the sound even more and not be much more work.

That is the first step. all of this changes when I install the aftermarket radio and totally remove the factory amp. Here is what I am considering at that stage.

1st. again is the simplest. it is close to the other 1st plan. I would put the kenwoods in the door, and then run something like the CT sounds 3 way passive crossover. specs below. Though to be honest I am not sure what frequency ranges each speaker is seeing.

Crossover:
Crossover circuit: 4µF capacitor / 100V
Crossover point: 3.5kHz
Filter for woofer: 6dB
Filter for mid-range: 9dB
Filter for tweeter: 12dB.

I would use this crossover to still run the factory mid and tweeter along with the kenwood.

2nd would be to swap either or both factory mid and tweeter with something better like that JBL mid or the infinity mid I would probably use it's crossover for it and either hook it into the 3 way or do something else (not sure what yet)

3rd option. I really would like to use the CT sounds components I purchased. Since it is not going to fit in the factory location I would mod the door and make it fit lower. Not wanting a empty 5.25" speaker pod I would keep the kenwood installed and either Use it as the mid (replacing the 2") or use it as an additional mid.

Now as far as wiring it up the amp will take a 2 ohm stereo load on each channel. So I was thinking about hooking up the kenwood in parallel to the 3 way passive crossover. The crossover would go to the CT sounds 5.25" and either factory mid and CT tweeter, the same with upgraded JBL/Infinity mid. The kenwood would be getting a wide range with the A606 crossover filtering out the lower bass.

Would it work hooking the Kenwood up in parallel like this with the crossover? is there another crossover I should be using? any good way to use the 2 way crossover that came with my CT components and keep from buying the 3 way one? Any other ideas? Or is all of this just crazy and I am way over doing it? :)  Thanks!

While driving home for lunch I got looking at how close that CT speaker is setting to my glove box. When I got home I grabbed the grill. Just as I though. Even if I decided to cut out an opening for the speaker in that location. It won't work. I can't open the glove box with the cover on the speaker.  So I played around a little more with that piece of wood I cut last night.

60FuGt8.jpg

fgcjw8C.jpg

VwxkTD3.jpg

I have not altered the door panel yet, since I am not sure if I am going to do this. there is plenty of depth though for the mounting.

Is anyone familiar with that CT sounds 3 way crossover? Anyone use it, and/or know the crossover points? The specs CT sounds sent me doesn't make sense to me. Granted I have been out of this for a long time.

Crossover:
Crossover circuit: 4µF capacitor / 100V <---- doesn't this mean it will take around 200 watts?
Crossover point: 3.5kHz <----- surely not everything is crossed over at this point especially with those slopes below
Filter for woofer: 6dB
Filter for mid-range: 9dB
Filter for tweeter: 12dB

Maybe I am missing something. CT sounds says that is all the data they have.

Next looking at both the 50mm infinity and the 50mm JBL they are pretty much identical spec wise. I read about some comparaisons on another forum. However what would be the best way to wire them in? looks like they are 2.5ohm. not sure what load they are with their crossover they come with. Not sure how I would wire them into the 3 way crossover since I am pretty sure it was set up for 4 ohm speakers. wouldn't the 2.5 ohm screw with the frequencies? So if I don't hook it to that then do I hook it up? I didn't want to run it on a separate amp or even channel. Not knowing what ohm load it has after the crossover make it hard. if the amp sees a 2.5 ohm load then I won't want to hook it up in parallel with the other crossover....

Can anyone shed some light on this? thanks

I also found these little guys.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JKH36C/?coliid=I39AHEWY5FE3WV&colid=34CFLRUDQ9NES&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Not sure how they sound compared to the Infinity or JBL.

The Kenwood speakers actually sound pretty good. Not as much mid bass as the ct sounds, but more midrange and maybe better vocals, on factory power that is. I am sure the act sounds will get louder and sound better doing it. The kenwood speakers fit with no mods to the door and are a big step up from factory sound.

still hoping someone has an answer on the 3 way crossover. Or info on hooking it all up.

thanks

i'm no pro, and it's the only 3 way x over i've used, but i used these and wasn't upset at the sound.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJ6KCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x overs are: 20-800hz woofer, 700hz-4khz midrange, and 5khz-20khz tweeter.  with a 12db slope/octave

never had any issues with em

also, after reading through everything, i remembered how i modified my factory door woofer pods in my e39.

i cut the back out of them 😕  

really wish i remembered that before suggesting you buy em.  but even with just using the factory door pod as purely a mounting point, they sounded really good to me.  the midbass would shake my pant leg.  so thats a possibility, to help retain the factory look (if you're worried about it).  you could always use deadener and seal the door behind the woofer to help. 

Archived