Set up

scootter

I recently purchased the SMD Distortion Detector and CC-1.  I set the distortion first, and then tried to set the frequencies/crossovers.  I'm not sure what test tones I should be using for the high or lows. I have 2 sets of speakers. 1 set (coax) have frequency range 70Hz - 20Khz. The other set (mid bass) is 120Hz - 5000Hz. 

Here's where I get lost. I don't know which tones to use for the 2 different ranges. 

And, when I use the crossover controller, after I push the read button, turning the frequency knob doesn't move the light to calibrated. I read the instructions MANY times and nothing seems to work. So I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong tone.   Or maybe the CC-1 isn't working properly.

If you know the speaker’s frequency range, why do you need a machine to tell you where to set the crossover points ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

11 hours ago, White Lightning said:

If you know the speaker’s frequency range, why do you need a machine to tell you where to set the crossover points ???

This is all new to me, so I,m trying to set things up so I don't wreck anything. I like to learn a little bit about this so I can do it myself. Setting gains and frequencies by ear is BS because everyone hears the same thing differently.

Both sets at 1khz. I like 0db I don't care to set things under DB for "overlap" 

Set at 1khz and then I recheck at 400hz. It's usually same gain setting.

Also in regards to dd1 all that does is give you max unclipped amp wattage (useless if you're setting a specific wattage because you're using bigger than needed amps) also your gain is set to those test tones, as soon as real music Pat's you can be grossly under max wattage or grossly over max and clipping. What you can find piece of mind with us if you play that test tone CD youll be fine.

52 minutes ago, scootter said:

This is all new to me, so I,m trying to set things up so I don't wreck anything. I like to learn a little bit about this so I can do it myself. Setting gains and frequencies by ear is BS because everyone hears the same thing differently.

I’m all confused here ...

if this is all “new to you” then how do you know setting gains by ear is bullshit ??? You learn by “listening to your music” 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived