Sonic Electronix

Lets turn two subs into one :)

Alright so I have two of these > https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46592_NVX-VCW104.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaignid=801900943&utm_keyword=&utm_matchtype=b&utm_device=c&utm_content=406231538044&gclid=CjwKCAiAluLvBRASEiwAAbX3GT8YBIjI5sxEaqtCyuL2wpmAsoucpYl1dvkCwDQI_NBqM549T9YH_BoC3DgQAvD_BwE

They have really been great little subs. I have them in a 3 cu ft box, tuned to 34hz.

But getting a little bored, and always wanted to do a T-line. Only problem is, I know they take up a lot of space, and so I couldn't really use both in a T-line (side by side, that is) but then, I really have to use both of these DVC 4ohm subs, to make a 1 ohm load, to get the full  965wts from my amp.

So I got to brainstorming..... What if, I mounted these two subs, face to face, wired out of phase, and then built a T-line basing it off of a single 10" cone ? Of course, the other parameters of the sub(s) would change.... I think by a lot, but not sure if these parameters would be like exactly double, or exactly half ? I'm looking for somebody to calculate the parameters of two of these 10" subs mounted face to face..... at least all the parameters which would be important when building a T-line. I'm hoping nothing gets so whacked, that it just wont work in a T-line.

Who here has mounted subs face to face, because they didn't have enough space in a conventional enclosure for both, but still wanted to get the max output from there amp into a lower resistance load ?

Edit: I just read that this setup reduces the VAS by exactly half, but does not effect the Fs. What other parameters are needed for a T-line ?

Second edit: Oh wow ! I thought it meant, if the two subs would normally require 3 cubes, that face to face, you only needed 1.5 cubes.... but no ! You only need .75 cubes for both subs ! Please, nobody tell why this wont be great for a T-line ! Because it sounds freaking awesome !

https://www.vueaudio.com/isobaric-subwoofer-design/

Found the answer to all of my questions right here....

You guys ever watch this guy ? Dude sounds about 27 X's smarter than me :) lol

But this vid straight up breaks it down ! 

I am SO freaking doing this with my two 10"s in a T-line :)

Here's a very interesting screen shot from the video. Only the SPL's are bugging me ? A full 6db drop ? Would anything offset this ? It does show significant gains in deep bass response though...

IMG_17122019_154443_(1800_x_1300_pixel).jpg

go for it, but i think you may end up halfing the power handling of each sub again in that configuration. so they might end up only handling 1/4 power. just a theory of mine.

Hey strangeduck, supposedly it doesn't hurt power handling to run them in a clamshell.... But using them in a T-line is a whole different story ? I'm not really sure about that, but I'm actually hitting them a little light anyway, as they are rated for 750rms, and I'm only giving them about 480 each.

Oh, and when I had pointed out the 6db loss on that chart, I'm assuming that was with the clamshelled speakers in a regular ported enclosure. With the T-line being a lot more efficient, especially with the deep bass range, maybe that won't be an issue.

It does seem like at least some of the guys brave enough to try a T-line, and then get it right, say they won't ever do it any other way :)

Honestly, looking over my initial napkin sketchups, it looks pretty easy and straight forward. Pretty anxious to slap this thing together :)

Edit; Strangeduck, and anyone else who  I might give a chit ;) at 6:00 in the video, the guy says other benefits include twice the power handling of a single sub..... then, what's even cooler, is at 6:17 he specifically  mentions clamshell (isobaric) subs in a T-line, and says this allows you to operate the subs in half the cross section as a single sub woofer !!! This is freaking HUGE news ! The T-line for my 10"s is going to be so freaking compact, it's rediculous ! Plus, earlier when I was contemplating a T-line for my two 15"s, I did some measurements, and it was going to be quite a squeeze, with a cross section of my port needing to be 160 Sq inches..... but 80 Sq inches ? Freaking easy peasy ! Now I'm thinking about just going straight to my 15"s for the first build ☺

Lol he’s a douchebag ...     BUt try the isoloaded tline I’ve been wanting to try fronts these way but to lazy .... their are downfalls of isobaric loading also   And him saying twice as much power as a single sub no shit you are using 2 subs lol. 

Actually, subs don't create any power. That's the amps job :)

I always laugh when I read about "powerful" subs... Like, wait.....

Iso loaded, huh ? Sounds complicated, but I'll look into them. I've all but finished a design (roughly scratched out) for how to do two 15"s in a 13ft long T-line :) Sounds impossible right ? 

But believe it or not, I think I got this. 

About the only thing I need to figure out is, where can I get some MDF rings cut ? I need like 6 or 7 of them.... Like 19" diameter, with a 14" hole....

Archived