Second Skin Audio

Predict how my next enclosure will sound ???

Fish Chris

Okay, so I've read a BUNCH of stuff about ported Isobaric enclosures, and I think it is pretty much agreed upon, that two subs mounted in a push/pull configuration, will not be "as loud" as the same two subs side by side, in a conventional tuned ported enclosure. I'm still not 100% sure if they will be 3db's or 6db's quieter ? I keep seeing stuff that is comparing "series vs. parallel" wiring of these isobaric subs.... but I'm going to be wiring the two 15"s exactly the way they were wired when in a giant box, sitting side by side.... in series to make the same 2 ohm load as they were making before.
Here's the kicker though.... for a few years now, I have been running two 10"s on the same power, in a conventional tuned, ported enclosure. I definitely lost some loudness going from the two 15"s to the two 10"s, but I just really liked the sound of the 10"s better. Tighter, cleaner, more musical. So inevitably, somebody will ask, "what are my goals" by trying my two 15"s in an isobaric configuration ? And honestly, I just want them to play LOW, and CLEAN. As for loud... well, I'm hoping that jumping from the two 10"s, back up to the 15"s will mostly offset this. I mean, one 15" subwoofer actually has about 12% more surface area, than two 10"s.... So, my power stays the same... my surface area slightly increases.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to do this next week. Its not going to cost me much (already have the sub woofers) , and its mostly for fun. But who thinks I will like it so much, that they will stay.... or, I'll be yanking them out and throwing the 10"s back in a couple days later ???

10 being tighter cleaner musical is a myth that’s been busted time and time again just an f.y.i...  You get a sub same brand same series different size and a proper built box for each they will all sound the same..

and the way you wire the subs is dependent on the way you do isobaric if face to face one has to be out of phase with the other one.. if they aren’t then both in phase... 

are the 10s and 15s. Same wattage? If not then that’s a variable on how different they will be also

also their is a shit ton of info on these enclosures...

1 hour ago, CstrokerV said:

10 being tighter cleaner musical is a myth that’s been busted time and time again just an f.y.i...  You get a sub same brand same series different size and a proper built box for each they will all sound the same..

So I have heard many times. I guess it's just coincidental that the 18"s, and the 15"s I've had, never sounded as good as the 10"s and 12"s that I've had. These were all different brands, but mostly mid level stuff from like 250 to 800 was RMS. 

1 hour ago, CstrokerV said:

and the way you wire the subs is dependent on the way you do isobaric if face to fauce one has to be out of phase with the other one.. if they aren’t then both in phase... 

Obviously one will be wired out of phase. But no matter what, they will still be wired to provide half the resistance. 

2 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

are the 10s and 15s. Same wattage? If not then that’s a variable on how different they will be also

The 15" are rated at 800 wts rms. The 10"s are rated at 750 wts RMS, so they are close.

Here's all the specs for the 15"s

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

And here's the specs for the 10"s

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46592_NVX-VCW104.html

I believe the 10"s were in exactly what the factory recommends (their is a story to that, but they have sounded so good, I think i nailed that). I've already provided the numbers for the enclosure  I will put together for the 15"s. Is there anything else you would need to make a prediction ?

i haven't heard those partsexpress subs personally but iv read they sound really good and where accurate ... it would be dependent on the amp also when comparing the 2 ... 

what amp do you have?...

the most musical sub ive ever heard was a Havoc 18" lol.....

and when i had my bubble dome stroker pro 15" it was really musical as well 

Yea, they don't have a really big X max, but I think they can be really clean, if they are in the right enclosure.

I have the Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 25 to Life 5 ch. Birthsheet says 4 x 110, and 1 x 965 @ 2 ohms. 

Anyway, I'm hoping this will be the box that will help me prove it to myself that 15"s can, in fact, play as clean and musical as 10"s or 12"s...

Those dayton reference series subs are really quite nice, the only reason you don’t find out the 15 vs 10 myth is just that is by putting it in a bad design. Coincidentally the same reason for the myth in the first place.  I tried Tlines initially for the same reason you’re doing this. Its really rewarding to figure it out through hands on and I think its cool you’re taking the time and effort to check it all out for yourself👍🏻

Amongst many issues I’m guessing heimholtz ported 180 degree out of phase sound joining the front of the cones output improperly is the biggest contributor, (that’s often some screwed up SQ and SPL),but when people say sealed boxes are ‘quicker’ and act as a spring to help the driver bounce back from producing a sound they don’t think how it does the opposite in compression vs rebound strokes and thus the ‘quicker’ bass is just distorted bass and hearing that is theyre definition of ‘quick’???  

Archived