Amp voltage drop

Hi I’m having trouble with my amp I had it installed when I got my truck I have 2 12” duals running at 1200 watts max and 600rms at 4ohms my amp is a boss 1600 rage I’m using 6gauge power wire and ground it’s been working for about 2 years now running with my stock battery and alternator and all I did was disconnect it to clean the inside of my truck and when I reconnected it everything seemed fine but now when I turn up the volume to not even half way the bass goes out and the amp Is still on but the blue light goes slightly dimmer but it drops from 12 volts to 6volts Checked for blown fuses and nothing made sure my ground was connected right to bare metal of the chassis and tight connections on amp and everything else are tight and I just ordered 0 gauge wire is this all I needed to do to stop voltage drop?? Or what’s the other cause 

I’ll try to help you the best I can here...

6 volts!? Not sure why your amp wouldn’t go into protect at such low voltage. Where is your volt meter hooked up at? Going down to 6V is waaaaay past the point of voltage drop for a 12V battery/system..If you’re monitoring your voltage at the amp then maybe your wire has been damaged somewhere, maybe the fuse didn’t do it’s job somehow and melted the wire somewhere. Maybe a rubber grommet was not used when the wire was put through the firewall or floor or something and the wire has been cut down by the sharp metal edge and is grounding out your power wire. I hope this helps. 

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

Thank you !!! checked out the power wire and was not even put through the firewall seems to run through the door and not through the inside of the engine bay so Will have to take out the power to check for any melts or cuts in the wire could it be also since the wiring kit was the ones used from Walmart?

Well a cheap wiring kit is one thing but maybe the wire got pinched in the door? Who installed that? I think we need pics now. Not trying to just insult whoever but it doesn’t sound like it was done properly, just being honest. Couldn’t hurt to rewire it with new bigger wire, but if you don’t want to spend the money you could take the wire out completely, inspect it closely, and put it back if it all looks good. But I usually tell people to run 0 gauge from front to back anyway if they ever plan on upgrading or have multiple amps. 

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

Hi sorry for the late response I haven’t had time but yes took out the old wire and was pinched by the door in 2 places a company in town did it for me called sound depot they did a horrible job I didn’t know anything about car audio back then so I had them install it and they didn’t wire it thru the fire wall they installed it thru the hood and thru the door it was pinched by the hinges plus my amp gains were set all the way even bass boost so the company was pretty bad at installing the system my 0 gauge wire comes in tomorrow hopefully it works will keep u posted thanks for the help

I'm going to be honest, that amp is good for 400 watts at best.  And judging by the gains up boost up, and shorted wire, I'm willing to bet there is something going to be ruined in that amp and it's going to continue to give problem.

I'd look into an amp that can do good power and is reliable. 

You can get a SKAR Sk-m5001d compact 500 watt RMS mono block for 120$ free shipping. It will make 2x the power of the boss heating element you have now, and will do so with no distortion.

Archived