16 volt system questions ?

I know NOTHING about this, except that it is often used in competitions. So my stupid questions are;

How complicated / expensive is this type of 16V setup ? 

Does anybody ever do this for a daily driver / SQL type of setup ? 

And a "kind of related question"..... Even if someone were not trying to go all out with a straight up 16 volt system, is there a way to keep your voltage at a "rock solid" 14.7 volts, in a 12 volt system ? I mean, of course if you run 26 batteries, and nine 370 amp alternators (okay I'm exaggerating to make a point) it wont sag "much".... but I'm talking about something that just wont allow it to sag "at all" ? Does such a method, or equipment exist ??? Like where it is actually a 16v system, regulated / stepped down to 14.7 ?

Higher voltage = less current capacity (more batteries needed to equal the same amount of current capacity in a 12v system). You would need an alt capable of charging at 18v for a 16v system, and a step down module to supply all of the 12v electronics in your car. And your amp would need to have an unregulated power supply and be capable of 18v. It wont be cheap to change all of that.

If you're wanting a steadier voltage on your 12v system, adding super caps may be what you want to do. Their ability to discharge and recharge at a high rate are very beneficial to countering voltage drop on long draws from your system

You could, use 14v bats, and just charge lower,... like 15.5.  Then, put it on the charger here and there to really top off. 

14v bats, are more expensive, and ususally have less amp hour per.

We daily'd a 16v system, charging around 17.8......  But, it was a monster hassle, and, although we did gain, it may have not really been worth the headaches.

I dont know if your rig will be happy with upper charge, so, be leary there. Most, though, are fine 15 plus. But, some arent, and youll throw codes and check eng lights all day, .......

EDIT- also, i dont know your gear, but some amps, dont like upper voltage,.. they will protect. So, keep that in mind also. 

Archived