How big of a deal is it to run two alternators ?

Just a thought running through my head. The alternator in my truck is fairly heavy duty as far as stock alternators go... 130 amps, and freaking amazingly, it has ran my entire stereo system (and the rest of the truck of course) for 12 freaking years, without fail ! So its durable, to say the least ! 

Now I'm thinking about getting an upgraded, aftermarket alternator... at least 250 amp, but maybe up to 370 ? So the thought crosses my mind, what if I do get that 250a just for the stereo system, but keep my stock alternator for the rest of the truck itself ? I mean, aside from the extra 130a, another thought, is that I could put a slightly higher regulator in the 250a, to keep my voltage up closer to 16v, and of course just leave the regulator in the stock alternator alone.

Anyway, how big of a deal is running two alternators ? Besides a double mounting bracket, and a longer belt, how much else is required for this ? And the most important question, is it worth it ? Or should I just go with a single 370a alt and call it a day ?

Archived