Sundown Audio

Strapping amps... Quick question

Ludachris5150

Im currently running 2 fi ssd 12s off a soundqubed 2250... Their d1, wired @ 1ohm. I know that amp is strappable, and that its says x amount of power @ 2ohm strapped. So would i need d2's in order to add another Amp and strap the amps? Just wire the subs up at 2 ohm to the master and connect the slave? That's what i get from it but figured id ask 

Rebuild in progress...

^^^^^^^What he said 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Yes gain match

Think about it? What benefit are you getting from strapping?

Your minimum lowest impedance doubles, and yeah while you have one on board control, which on the surface seems convenient, in reality it's detrimental. Now you can't independently control phase output. But I  see your particular amps don't even  have phase adjustment. But there is another issue that is out of your control when strapping. And that is "even" output or gain from each amp. While if both amps where built with literal cloned components that had 0.0001% tolerance, then you'd be fine strapping and being confident the gain would be the same, but unfortunately this is not the case, and components with such tight tolerance do not even exist.

I believe the tightest tolerance I've seen in electrical components was 0.05% and even that much variation in tolerance will cause different output from each amp when controlled in concert from one amps on board controls.

So best to gain match any way you look at it. Hell given the fact you where possibly going to have to buy new subs just to do it would be reason enough alone to ditch strapping.

If you do buy another amp, a 2250 say, I'm sure after rise it will take .5 ohm mono each. And if not just jump up to the 4.5k version. The Oney you saved in buying new subs will offset the cost

Archived