Second Skin Audio

Reccomend me some subs!

Ipoksmote

4 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Wat personal experience have u had?

Just a a sub coil letting loose on half rms power, then it was replaced and same shit again. I set gains same way I have been for 25 years, trusty ol o-scope. Yes I know a dd1 is better but even Steve was a kid back then lol, ND if he was doing what he does now back then he'd be using an o-scope too.  My sister cooked a sub on rated also ( audio shop on Florida did everything so idk how gains were set) and it was replaced.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Ill just say this every brand has stuff leave the factory with defects. One woofer failing doesnt mean everything a brand sells is junk. If that were true american bass would be out of buisness and so would sundown. The xfls have a habit of unwinding coils and sundown is known to send out woofers with coil rub. Also ive seen several people have problems with dc subs wich are damn near indestructable. Factory defects occur on every mass made product. The biggest thing imo is when there is an issue how fast do they respond and fix the issue. Plenty of people use skar gear with no issue. In competition lanes, demo vehicles and dailys. Imo some equipment failing here and there is just part of the game. All brands that are mass produced will have issues here and there.

Also if multiple woofers were letting go there may b another issue there. Ive been running my skar vd 8s over powered by a few hundreds watts for over a month and havent even smelled a coil get hot.

12 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

Ill just say this every brand has stuff leave the factory with defects. One woofer failing doesnt mean everything a brand sells is junk. If that were true american bass would be out of buisness and so would sundown. The xfls have a habit of unwinding coils and sundown is known to send out woofers with coil rub. Also ive seen several people have problems with dc subs wich are damn near indestructable. Factory defects occur on every mass made product. The biggest thing imo is when there is an issue how fast do they respond and fix the issue. Plenty of people use skar gear with no issue. In competition lanes, demo vehicles and dailys. Imo some equipment failing here and there is just part of the game. All brands that are mass produced will have issues here and there.

Also if multiple woofers were letting go there may b another issue there. Ive been running my skar vd 8s over powered by a few hundreds watts for over a month and havent even smelled a coil get hot.

Oh I'm definitely agreeing with u there, shit happens, It just isn't worth it in my head to spend my money on em again, two in a row half rms is enuff to make me question quality in general that's all. But yes ALL mass produced products let a few turds passed the grate sometimes. Like I said it's just personal opinion that keeps me away, no real basis to it, but that's why there are so many choices cause not everyone has same tastes! That's what makes this hobby so interesting, cause so many different setups.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Archived