Second Skin Audio

used router inside box for magnet relief, will it be ok?

CorNut

Apparently geometry isn't my strong suit, I thought I'd have enough room to recess the woofer but it didn't work as planned. It is a 0.8  cu ft sealed enclosure for a single Sundown SD-4 10 D2.

After using the router to cut a half moon, I have as little as 5/16" left with a 1/8" gap between the magnet and wood. I'm not sure if the thin layer of titebond will help but I put it there hoping the semi rough area will absorb some. The box is built with 3/4" MDF, if it were for me I'd try it with the cut and if it failed I'd rebuild it but that's not the case. The person this is for isn't a bass head, he listens to things like Peter Frampton. It's not a customer, he's just a friend but I don't want to send him off with something that'll fail. The amp he's using is a Kicker Key 500.1 and I doubt he'll really crank it. Even if he did, I'm not sure the amp can push it to its full potential anyway. It's a 600W RMS sub being powered by a 500W mini amp. 

I know I can cut a hole and place another piece behind it but I built this to angle with his backseat. Doing that will make the box stick out that much further which I'm hoping to only do if I have to. I know that's the best way to do it, but is it essential? I appreciate any input, I'm hoping this will work but I'm wanting to run it by you guys first.

1.jpg

2.jpg

There’s isn’t a pole vent on the bottom of that subwoofer’s magnet, the vents are on the sides of the magnet. So, it doesn’t have to be a certain distance away from the wood in reference to the bottom of the subwoofer’s magnet and the wood it’s close to. This is because it doesn’t need any room to breath on that part of the magnet since there isn’t a pole vent there. As long as you can screw the subwoofer in the cutout, it’s fine. And don’t put anything in that enclosure except for that subwoofer, no poly-fil or cotton or whatever because them vent poles on the side of that subwoofer’s magnet needs to breathe well. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Awesome. I knew venting wouldn't be an issue, the 1/8" gap was too make sure the magnet doesn't touch/rattle on the back of the box. What I was worried about is if it'd be a week point only leaving the wood 5/16" back there. I'm not planning to poly-fil. Thank you, I'll finish assembly as is.

57 minutes ago, CorNut said:

Awesome. I knew venting wouldn't be an issue, the 1/8" gap was too make sure the magnet doesn't touch/rattle on the back of the box. What I was worried about is if it'd be a week point only leaving the wood 5/16" back there. I'm not planning to poly-fil. Thank you, I'll finish assembly as is.

because you slathered it in wood glue, it won't be a weak point so good call there.  and everything mr. Gigawatts said is correct, you should be GTG

Archived