Sundown Audio

Taramps HD3k Clipping

Angel Galvan

Just now, Dafaseles said:

You don't have your phone turned all the way up, so you? That could also send a clipped signal

Its all the way up so it shouldn't be? I do notice that there's 1 notch before full volume that doesent increase the volume at all so I have it 1 notch before full volume on the phone

1 minute ago, Dafaseles said:

The big 3 upgrade will always help. You should do that

But technically isn't the alternator already working hard that I won't see a benefit in the big 3 ? My rpms even drop a bit or would I still see a difference either way if I'm already dropping rpms 

9 hours ago, Angel Galvan said:
2 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

Its all the way up so it shouldn't be? I do notice that there's 1 notch before full volume that doesent increase the volume at all so I have it 1 notch before full volume on the phone

If your phone does that, in my opinion, I wouldn't turn your phone up more than 2 notches below full and tune your amps to that. 

I'm just trying to narrow down all the possible reasons your amp might be clipping when it shouldn't be

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

But technically isn't the alternator already working hard that I won't see a benefit in the big 3 ? My rpms even drop a bit or would I still see a difference either way if I'm already dropping rpms 

It's going to make the electrical flow through, not just the system, but the whole vehicle more efficient. Don't disconnect and get rid of the stock "big 3" wiring, but add a run of good 1/0 gauge OFC to it. 

Just now, Dafaseles said:

If your phone does that, in my opinion, I wouldn't turn your phone up more than 2 notches below full and tune your amps to that. 

I'm just trying to narrow down all the possible reasons your amp might be clipping when it shouldn't be

If I do lower my phone volume now I'm going to have less bass then I would have to increase the amp gain no ? When I have my truck off I get around 12.2v and it looks like I still clip when I turn It up voltage drops to like 11.5 11.3. When I turn the truck on for more voltage I still clip. So its either om not settings volume right or my ground wasn't cleaned up enough

4 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

If I do lower my phone volume now I'm going to have less bass then I would have to increase the amp gain no ? When I have my truck off I get around 12.2v and it looks like I still clip when I turn It up voltage drops to like 11.5 11.3. When I turn the truck on for more voltage I still clip. So its either om not settings volume right or my ground wasn't cleaned up enough

Yes, if you want to use your phone in a lower volume, I would reset the gains. 

That ground looked ok to me. Unless it's not tight. If you could redo it with a bolt instead of a self tapping screw, that would be the only way I could think of to improve it, unless it's 3 feet long, then I'd say shorten it. 

I'm banking on something else clipping before the amplifier to be honest. The fact that you've got this powerful amp on this decent sub that shouldn't need all that power to begin with, you should be able to almost send the voice coil through the dust cap before that amp clips (not really, but you get my point). Yes, the big 3 it's a huge deal. Yes, you should be thinking about upgrading the rest of your electrical as well. But I'm putting my money on something else as the clipping problem. That amp should damn near suck that voltage dry in that truck on stock electrical (again, not literally, but you get my point...I tend to over exaggerate at times lol) 

Honestly I think it is kinda long but not super long ill check the length its prob 2 ft and its hella tight its a bolt and a nut on the other side. I think I had even reved the truck up to like 1500 rpms and i believe i was still lightly clipping lmao. But yeah the sub bangs but it bang hella harder when im slightly clipping but I don't like playing it when j see that yellow clip light turn on so j

I back off on it. I did noticed something off when i plugged in my 0 gauge to 4 gauge reducers in the amp they didn't go in straight they were angled in. But they don't slip out. But I guess ill just do the big 3 upgrade next on it. I do have a coupon on skar website lmao only enough for a cca 0 guage amp wiring kit tho. 

20201028_122727.jpg

35 minutes ago, Angel Galvan said:

Honestly I think it is kinda long but not super long ill check the length its prob 2 ft and its hella tight its a bolt and a nut on the other side. I think I had even reved the truck up to like 1500 rpms and i believe i was still lightly clipping lmao. But yeah the sub bangs but it bang hella harder when im slightly clipping but I don't like playing it when j see that yellow clip light turn on so j

I back off on it. I did noticed something off when i plugged in my 0 gauge to 4 gauge reducers in the amp they didn't go in straight they were angled in. But they don't slip out. But I guess ill just do the big 3 upgrade next on it. I do have a coupon on skar website lmao only enough for a cca 0 guage amp wiring kit tho. 

20201028_122727.jpg

This  is what I meant by a small... very small amount if clipping is ok. This is actually a screenshot I stole from the first pinned topic in the "amplifiers" category on this forum. You can go there and read more about the subject if you'd like

Screenshot_20201103-215547_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do you ever see clipping below 12.6v? Taramps prefer this voltage or above, they also only require very little rca input voltage as well, do you know what that amount is?

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

On 11/3/2020 at 11:59 PM, Dafaseles said:

This  is what I meant by a small... very small amount if clipping is ok. This is actually a screenshot I stole from the first pinned topic in the "amplifiers" category on this forum. You can go there and read more about the subject if you'd like

Hello I just got a cheap clamp meter and I'm not sure how you read the current. So I was slamming at the point were it flickered the clip light slightly. I was maintaining above 13v and I'm not sure if I'm reading the numbers on the clamp is it going over 150 amps ? Or is it only 20 amps? I doubt it lmao here's the clip.

Archived