Second Skin Audio

Help pls. Box build for 2018 WRX trunk. 2-12s sundown

James671Guam

10 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

This would be what that port design would be if the port was on the front of the enclosure, not center port, sub back port back, double baffle.

771F98B1-D542-4701-8F98-A2DAC39FA083.jpeg

Ive been under the impression that Torres figures in end correction for you. That the number you enter in is what you will make the centerline of your port to be. So on a 4" wide port at 33" long centerline, the sub will see 35". So by your diagram Ive been adding 2 extra inches instead of removing? Am I looking at that correctly? This just blew mind lol.

Have you thought about using a long turn 90 or 2 45 degree bends. You should also look for smooth interior design that are created for optimal water flow. Sometimes these fittings can get expensive due to the higher schedule pipe(Schedule 80 vs 40) larger # equals thicker pipe. https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/GENOVA-90-Degree-Sanitary-Elbows-WP7115317/_/N-qukZ1z0lhi9?breadcrumbCatId=4861&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/20LU68_AS02?$smthumb$webparentimage$

2 hours ago, CCole said:

Have you thought about using a long turn 90 or 2 45 degree bends. You should also look for smooth interior design that are created for optimal water flow. Sometimes these fittings can get expensive due to the higher schedule pipe(Schedule 80 vs 40) larger # equals thicker pipe. https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/GENOVA-90-Degree-Sanitary-Elbows-WP7115317/_/N-qukZ1z0lhi9?breadcrumbCatId=4861&fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/20LU68_AS02?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Aero port bends disrupt air flow and negatively affects the enclosures output. It’s different than fluid flow. It bounces around. Fluid doesn’t. Bends are only ok with slot ports.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

6 hours ago, never knows best said:

where are you getting this info???

Common knowledge of physics. I’m highly educated. Also, experience. I’m highly knowledgeable about car audio. And best of all. From helping people with that problem, that come on this forum that make posts about, “why does there aero port enclosure not sound loud at all compared to other enclosures they had the same subwoofers in with about the same net volume and tuning”. Then when they straighten the port out they message me or post and thank me and say, man, my subwoofers hit so hard now, thank you 1point21gigawatts.

I’ve had success placing the 45 bend closest to the exit side of the port. This is the best way to get max length overall for port. I completely agree if the thought was 15” then 45 then 15”. Compression and resonance come into play. The most important aspect of using an aero port with any bend is air speed. For the home audio I make sure the port velocity is within range above the tuning but below resonance I don’t care if it doubles. 60-70 above upto 100 below tuning without worry of chuffing. Since the enclosure is built it might be worth buying a 45. You should be able to get a 23”-25” straight section with 5”-8” additional from the 45 to the exit. This isn’t optimal but I’ve seen real world results not look good in models. Look at SVS ultra ported subs. Don’t forget we’re not talking about 5000 watts on a 33mm Xmax. Op is running 750watt speakers. 

4 hours ago, CCole said:

I’ve had success placing the 45 bend closest to the exit side of the port. This is the best way to get max length overall for port. I completely agree if the thought was 15” then 45 then 15”. Compression and resonance come into play. The most important aspect of using an aero port with any bend is air speed. For the home audio I make sure the port velocity is within range above the tuning but below resonance I don’t care if it doubles. 60-70 above upto 100 below tuning without worry of chuffing. Since the enclosure is built it might be worth buying a 45. You should be able to get a 23”-25” straight section with 5”-8” additional from the 45 to the exit. This isn’t optimal but I’ve seen real world results not look good in models. Look at SVS ultra ported subs. Don’t forget we’re not talking about 5000 watts on a 33mm Xmax. Op is running 750watt speakers. 

A 45 degree bend can work better than a 90 degree bend, especially in that location. But none the less, it still disrupts airflow and affects the enclosures output. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Like you said when it come to a 30” aero port with a bend after 15”. It isn’t optimal, but works. I understand that and agree with that. Same scenario when it comes to a bend closer to the aero port exit but a different disruption. I’ll explain that in a second. But disruption is still present. But if you had a straight 30” aero port enclosure vs a 23”-25” then 45 degree bend and then 5”-8” aero port, the straight port would sound better and hit harder. The whole idea and reasoning behind using an aero port is based on it being more efficient than any other port. A bend makes said port less efficient. Think about it, going straight is always easier, quicker and better than making turns along the way. Being straight forward is always better than cutting corners. Let me explain the disruption. On any degree of a bend on an aero port, the disruption is located in the bend itself because there are 2 different air speeds in that port, before and after the bend have different air speeds. And about the rms the OP is using, it’s crazy to disrupt airflow on such minimal rms and airflow. I don’t understand why you are thinking like that. More rms, more airflow. Same disruption, but more airflow because more rms. And resonance is the way the sound moves and sounds. It has nothing to do with air or it’s functions. Resonance is a function of sound, not airflow. And if somebody wants less or more port velocity then bending a port is the worst solution. Making the port diameter bigger or smaller is the best solution. Plus I don’t understand how you are comparing home audio to car audio and then recommending a 45 degree bend to the OP. That’s not a good comparison in audio because home audio isn’t geared towards achieving a high sound pressure level. That’s what many people want out of a car audio setup. On top of that, Locations, surroundings and placements are very different. It’s not a good recommendation because there are better port options available, even on minimal net volume and/or cabin area. Like a slot port. Even if an aero port is what somebody wants to use. It can be done on minimal net volume by just making some of the port external. If the cabin area doesn’t permit that, then make the port diameter smaller, which decreases the length needed to achieve desired frequency.

9 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Common knowledge of physics. I’m highly educated. Also, experience. I’m highly knowledgeable about car audio. And best of all. From helping people with that problem, that come on this forum that make posts about, “why does there aero port enclosure not sound loud at all compared to other enclosures they had the same subwoofers in with about the same net volume and tuning”. Then when they straighten the port out they message me or post and thank me and say, man, my subwoofers hit so hard now, thank you 1point21gigawatts.

Follow up questions-

1. Do you jerk off while looking at yourself in the mirror? 

2. Did you fix your 500amp fuses on your 0ga? Lol

16 hours ago, never knows best said:

Follow up questions-

1. Do you jerk off while looking at yourself in the mirror? 

2. Did you fix your 500amp fuses on your 0ga? Lol

I’m not even gonna feed into that nonsense so you can just run to the moderator again and try to get me ban when you are always the one who comes sideways at me first, talking big like a giant behind a screen, but then run to the moderator when I make you look foolish and feel small. You such a gangster. I don’t want problems with you, gangster.

11 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’m not even gonna feed into that nonsense so you can just run to the moderator again and try to get me ban when you are always the one who comes sideways at me first, talking big like a giant behind a screen, but then run to the moderator when I make you look foolish and feel small. You such a gangster. I don’t want problems with you, gangster.

WHOA there buddy, those were legitimate questions my dude. just getting an idea how full of yourself you are... remember, it's all fun and games till you burn someones car down with your never ending spew of "highly educated common knowledge physics"... and i think you have me confused with sombody else with all this interwebs tuff shit. probably lost track from your thousands of posts every single fucking day.

so... what forum did you get kicked off of that made you come to this site to talk big audio to 15 year olds? 

Archived