Second Skin Audio

What is the largest Vd (volume displacement) of a subwoofer that you know of ???

Fish Chris

I was just checking out the Pride UFO.5 18" sub with an X-max of 42.5mm one way ! That is over 3" of excursion ! Ef'ing rediculous !

But then there is the 24" Stereo Integrity IB seriers with a 30mm X-max... my math is slipping on me at the moment, but I believe a 24" sub, with a 30mm X-max has an even greater Vd than an 18" sub with a 42.5 mm X-max... Someone can check this if they want to.

But even besides this ^ does anyone know of a subwoofer of any size, that moves more air ???

Nobody ? 

I don't know about you guys, but one of the most important things I look for when buying a new subwoofer is, how much air it will move ?

And I've really been onto a "single sub" kick, ever since I started running my single 18" Skar 8 months ago. It does pretty well, but surely their are bigger, badder subs, that move more air, with much greater force 😉

Continuing my One man thread :) lol I took a few minutes to do the calculations, and as it turns out, the Stereo Integrity 24" IB actually moves more air, because of the 24" cone, in spite of the fact it has a smaller X-max, that the Pride UFO.... and it does so with WAAAY less power (way more effcient)

But I suspect the Stereo Integrity 24IB would be much more of a SQ kind of sub, with a nice wide band, and not near as loud at any one frequency.... which is really what I prefer anyway, but to each there own.

I don't even see that ST gives Vd ratings though? 

My JBL 2235Hs (pinky up) have a Vd of 46in3 with a 8.5mm xmax....Also it looks like the BL efficiency is not expressed by most manufacturers. Which matters I would guess. BL usually in the 70-80% range?

trying to calculate Vd seems simple...Vd = Sd * xmax

but it seems manufacturers want to make it more complicated...like ST for example expressing Sd in in2 and xmax in mm...I hate T/S parameters sometimes. 

Archived