Charging The Optima Yellow Top

Charging the Yellow top Optima

I am in no way affiliated with Optima battery, and what follows is factual & based on well documented research.

I have observed that some folks really like the Yellow top, and others have had bad experiences. Generally the users results with the yellow top optima are directly related to the charging voltage range of the system it is connected to.

The Optima Yellow Top is capable of accepting a lot of charging currrent, and requires a higher voltage finishing charge for maximum life. They can actually be charged at voltages over 16 volts, and require higher voltages as they get older.

Overcharging the yellow top may not result in damage, and can actually extend it's life considerably if done properly.

Some really smart folks at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, CO spent a whole pile of your tax dollars to scientifically prove this.

They repeatedly discharged test batteries to below 10.5 volts - effectively "dead". They then recharged them to full charge, and added a finishing "overcharge" at elevated voltage. They weighed each battery, observed them with infra-red cameras, etc.

They did this over & over. 356 times on a single battery in fact. A lot of testing. Then they hooked up a bank of 24 yellow top optimas, and started again. Beat them down to 10.5 volts, and then overcharged them. This time they went for 700 charge / discharge cycles. Let me say that again. Seven Hundred Cycles.

The results.

With all of that beating, no cells "dried out". They still weigh within a few grams of the inital weight.

After all of the testing, 21 of the 24 batteries still had resting voltages over 13 volts.

Cycle life was pretty much doubled, by raising the charging voltage.

So, if you have had a bad experience with the Optima Yelow top, take a look at your charging voltage & curve. I have found sometimes that simply putting a "tired" yellow top on the power supply overnight @16 volts will bring it back to life.

For those of you that want to read the whole report, from the govt. website:

NREL White paper on Optima batteries

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

My yellow top is brand new, and look whats happened i think its spiked my ECU and fried it when i put a fuse in for the ECU it just blows it. I put my car on Diagnostic and the vag-com says Fault code - 'System High Voltage' Think i might just put it in the trash and just get a kinetik and now a new ECU.

Edited by polochris

KICKER Livin' Loud

My yellow top is brand new, and look whats happened i think its spiked my ECU and fried it when i put a fuse in for the ECU it just blows it. I put my car on Diagnostic and the vag-com says Fault code - 'System High Voltage' Think i might just put it in the trash and just get a kinetik and now a new ECU.

So what's your voltage?

Thanks MLA for the post. I'll be getting a module for my Explorer soon.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

hell if you are going to trash the yellow top lol send it to me ill pay for the shiping

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

hell if you are going to trash the yellow top lol send it to me ill pay for the shiping

Damn it!!! I was gonna post that!!! <_<

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

It sounds like you have something funky going on for sure. The battery dosen't produce higher voltage it only accepts it. It will have higher cca's which may cause an issuse. Your alternator Gives your battery the voltage reading and the battery can't produce its own voltage. You may have something arching, shorting out or loose terminals. I would check these first before chucking the batt for sure. Alternator spikes would be more of a problem I would think.

Kinetic is good too !!! :rolleyes:

Brad aka (link) may be able explain or correct my jiberish. :wacko:

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Interesting read. I've never had any luck with them in any of my cars, system or not. I guess I'm not an Optima person :lol:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

They don't last long if their under charged for realz. Most voltage now days(2000ish) keep them about 80% full they don't even get a chance. The smart guy who bench charges them first won't have as many problems.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

Well if the OBD still works, your ECU may still be ok.

Let's start with the basic information - Year / Make / Model / Engine ???

Second, which fuse is blowing?

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg