Second Skin Audio

The Warmness

Well this is kind of dumb but id rather know then end up spending money. the magnet gets warm which isnt bad but sometimes the dust cap thingy gets warm. NOT HOT but warm only sometimes. is it bad if it gets warm?

Oh its a DD 9515G

Just means the coil is heating up. If it heats up to much it might melt the glue holding the coil together and/or pop the coil. yeah thats a bad thing....

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

only bad if it burns the shit outa your finger when you touch it.

warmness isnt "good" but isnt to a high enough degree to consider it "bad"

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

only bad if it burns the shit outa your finger when you touch it.

warmness isnt "good" but isnt to a high enough degree to consider it "bad"

-Drew

warmness leds to hotness, hotness leds to bad times

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Ok well ill look into it a little more and mess with the settings like i said its not HOT its just a little warm. Can playing below your tuning freq make it warm to because it cant control itself? and would having the windows down instead of cracked have anything to do with it. its like 60-70 now and i only crack them.

Ok well ill look into it a little more and mess with the settings like i said its not HOT its just a little warm. Can playing below your tuning freq make it warm to because it cant control itself? and would having the windows down instead of cracked have anything to do with it. its like 60-70 now and i only crack them.

It'd bottom out playing below box frequency.

With the windows down and shiz, it'd be more likely for the driver to "unload."

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

It's playing right at the port frequency that can kill woofers... the excursion cuts RIGHT down but the power is at it's peak so you suddenly lose most of your cooling because the coil isn't pumping air over itself any more :)

That said a 9515 is a damn tough woofer. How much power are you giving it and how big is the box?

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

warmness leds to hotness, hotness leds to bad times

Hotness leads to very, very bad times indeed.

It's playing right at the port frequency that can kill woofers... the excursion cuts RIGHT down but the power is at it's peak so you suddenly lose most of your cooling because the coil isn't pumping air over itself any more :)

That said a 9515 is a damn tough woofer. How much power are you giving it and how big is the box?

hmmm.....

i personally agree with what your saying, but dont like the way you phrased it :)

Chances of Thermal failure increase as excursion decreases, and playing full power at tuning increases this even more. While playing below tuning increases chances of Mechanical failure due to unloading.

BUT it is 2am so if i am wrong myself please correct me... :lol:

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

the box is just under 5 cubes tuned to i wanna say 40 and it gets about 3k rms. its not like i drive for hours at full i just go to work - 15 min drive and home. sometimes i hang out but i don't bump at full for long since i don't live far from anything. for what i have i love it, i love it so much i want another but i don't got the money. after the summer if i don't buy a new car or something i thing i might have to invest in another one =]

Edited by infkt