Sundown Audio

1 md5k or 2 smart 3?

JakeW

I know it’s been asked before, but sometimes you just get bored with your system. 2016 ram, 326a alt, agm

up front, titan8 pwr-s5 in the back. Md5k wired 2ohm, rising to 5.6 (1.8x) on 2 lvl 4 DC 12s. Rms of each are 1500, (clean max 3000) playing test tone shaking the neighbors house I clamp out 3013w. It sounds real good. As playing a clipped song for longer than I should’ve, and popped a sub. So waiting for that repair- while I wait im

looking to clean up the signal with a PAC amp pro unit. Variable 4-5v, which can be a problem on most taramps! Until i read about the new smart 5…. Will take 4v input! But I guess I’m typing this wondering if my current 5k, with the cleaner amp pro signal would be louder? Don’t roast me- but I was considering a smart 5 at .5ohm since the amp pro would be much cleaner signal. I hardly play demo or anything like that. Also considering 2 smart 3, just to combat rise and keep them at 1ohm a piece on each sub. Rise is 1.8, so in theory rising to 1.8 still be able to give them just over 2000w each? In the pursuit of being louder….. what would you do? Physically can’t fit more rms or larger subs into current enclosure

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly bro, you're not going to want to hear it, but I feel like if your clamping a little over 3000 watts, maybe you can squeeze a little more out of those subs, but I wouldn't put 3000 each to them. That's just me. 

That being said, if you're looking for absolute, 2 smart 3's would be the best in my opinion. I don't know how long those subs would last though. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Honestly bro, you're not going to want to hear it, but I feel like if your clamping a little over 3000 watts, maybe you can squeeze a little more out of those subs, but I wouldn't put 3000 each to them. That's just me. 

That being said, if you're looking for absolute, 2 smart 3's would be the best in my opinion. I don't know how long those subs would last though. 

Would the amp pro, and the current md5 be the way to go then? Or amp pro and smart 5 @ .5 to fight rise? .5 x 1.8 would be 3.6, and that smart 5 only does 2900w at 4ohm. Current 5k actually does 3200w at 4ohm!

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

I would say the first option. I mean, those aren't level 6 neo DC's. They're beefy, don't get me wrong, but I'd be nervous going to much over 2000-2300 watts per sub daily. And you already know you're getting a pretty decent amount of power out of the MD delivered. Not to mention, you have to upgrade a decent amount to be able to have multiple decibel gains. Even if you throw 3000 watts each at them, in the same box... maybe 1-3 decibels....3 if you're lucky. I mean, that's nothing to sneeze at if you're competing, but just to put it in perspective, the human ear considers an 11 decibel increase to sound twice as loud. 

1 minute ago, stingray72 said:

Im thinking a new box would be the best course of action if you can build it yourself.  What is your current box stats and tuning.  My brother used to be on team dc so i can get some tips 

Correct me if I'm wrong @JakeW, but it's an under the back seat box, so he could rebuild a custom box, but it would end up being close to the same internal volume, maybe even less because that box is specifically made for his generation truck to fit. 

I hate to say it after reading his whole post that nothing he wants to do will yield any meaningful outcome.  I know a line driver wont yeild anything from past experience either.

Only thing id say is rip out the back seats in that extended cab (if you have one) and then build a bigger box.

33 minutes ago, stingray72 said:

I hate to say it after reading his whole post that nothing he wants to do will yield any meaningful outcome.  I know a line driver wont yeild anything from past experience either.

Only thing id say is rip out the back seats in that extended cab (if you have one) and then build a bigger box.

Yes it is underseat rear of a crew cab. So even a line driver cleaning up the signal, really won’t yield any change at all?

7 minutes ago, JakeW said:

Yes it is underseat rear of a crew cab. So even a line driver cleaning up the signal, really won’t yield any change at all?

I think at most the bass can sound cleaner, but not really louder. I've seen quite a few oscilloscopes on full bridge amps and they seem to be very noisy. If you can clean up the nose in the wave, you could get a little more output just because the wave will be cleaner, but nothing that would blow the doors off. In my opinion though, an up in sound quality is just as big as db gains. 

You've got the itch my friend..... blow through! Lol

Archived