Sonic Electronix

Who thinks I can install THIS system on my own?

Hey guys, I will be buying a 2013 Toyota four runner and I plan on doing a no wall build with it. This car will be my daily driver. I have only installed one system in my life and I am ready to go bigger, dying to go bigger actually lol. My first system is just one 12 on a 1500watt audiopipe amp in a ported 3.2ft^2 box tuned to 32hz with stock Bose speakers, stock electrical, and aftermarket JL tweeters on stock electrical as well. Never metered it and I am a car audio noobie so I really couldn't guess how many dBs it is. Planning on putting two sundown x15v2 d2s tuned to about 30-32hz in a ported box in my trunk without folding down the seats. My backseats will become my new trunk as I plan on using my entire trunk space for the 2 15s. Planning on tackling the big 3 upgrade first, installing a HO alternator, and sound deadening all four of my doors as well as my trunk floor, trunk sides, and trunk door. Once all that is done, in goes my box and I would like to run a Taramps smart 5k to push my 2 15s (2500watts per sub) then plan on using a multichannel (or 4 channel or whatever, I really do not know much about mids and highs yet 😅) to push my mids and highs. Looking for good mids and highs that will be able to keep up with the 2 15s and not be drowned out in bass. All this has me intimated though. So my question is do you guys think I would be capable of doing this myself or should I consider taking it to a small car audio shop near by with guys that worked on a car that was in Slam?? I want it done right and I am on a budget. I do not want to spend anymore than $3,000 total if that is possible. My goal is for it to get loud and low while being a decent car to get to work and travel as well

5 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Hey guys, I will be buying a 2013 Toyota four runner and I plan on doing a no wall build with it. This car will be my daily driver. I have only installed one system in my life and I am ready to go bigger, dying to go bigger actually lol. My first system is just one 12 on a 1500watt audiopipe amp in a ported 3.2ft^2 box tuned to 32hz with stock Bose speakers, stock electrical, and aftermarket JL tweeters on stock electrical as well. Never metered it and I am a car audio noobie so I really couldn't guess how many dBs it is. Planning on putting two sundown x15v2 d2s tuned to about 30-32hz in a ported box in my trunk without folding down the seats. My backseats will become my new trunk as I plan on using my entire trunk space for the 2 15s. Planning on tackling the big 3 upgrade first, installing a HO alternator, and sound deadening all four of my doors as well as my trunk floor, trunk sides, and trunk door. Once all that is done, in goes my box and I would like to run a Taramps smart 5k to push my 2 15s (2500watts per sub) then plan on using a multichannel (or 4 channel or whatever, I really do not know much about mids and highs yet 😅) to push my mids and highs. Looking for good mids and highs that will be able to keep up with the 2 15s and not be drowned out in bass. All this has me intimated though. So my question is do you guys think I would be capable of doing this myself or should I consider taking it to a small car audio shop near by with guys that worked on a car that was in Slam?? I want it done right and I am on a budget. I do not want to spend anymore than $3,000 total if that is possible. My goal is for it to get loud and low while being a decent car to get to work and travel as well

Well, your electrical is going to cost a lot. Those subs aren't cheap either, if you don't already have them. The Taramps 5k you where talking about is cheap for a 5k amplifier. On top of that, head unit, 1/0 OFC cable, 4 channel amp and door speakers. Can you do it yourself (with a little how to help from us in the forum) yes. Can you do it for $3k..... all I can say is don't be disappointed when you go over lol. 

That being said, start a build log on the members site of their ride section. We'll love to see the progress and help when you need it. I have a build log going. So do many of us. Go check a couple out, and for sure, start your own! Beginning to end.

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

21 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, your electrical is going to cost a lot. Those subs aren't cheap either, if you don't already have them. The Taramps 5k you where talking about is cheap for a 5k amplifier. On top of that, head unit, 1/0 OFC cable, 4 channel amp and door speakers. Can you do it yourself (with a little how to help from us in the forum) yes. Can you do it for $3k..... all I can say is don't be disappointed when you go over lol. 

That being said, start a build log on the members site of their ride section. We'll love to see the progress and help when you need it. I have a build log going. So do many of us. Go check a couple out, and for sure, start your own! Beginning to end.

Already got both sundown 15s!! Yeah I'm starting to see that electrical is hella expensive. Whole reason I picked the taramps smart 5k is because people said it's a great bang for the buck amp and will do 5000watts at 2ohms which is what both my dvc dual 2 ohm subs will be wired to (wish I would've bought two 4ohm dvc 15s to wire down to 1 ohm but did not realize this at the time I bought em 😒). I would love to do a build log! You've got me sold on that and I will definitely have some questions and will get stuck at certain points. Already got the box building skills down too hehe (look below (double baffle, 3/4 mdf, 1 5/8" drywall screws every two inches, screw holes topped off with bondo, 3 coats of binz shellac based primer, splattered black "oil based" paint to finish it off))

IMG_1454.JPG

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

Already got both sundown 15s!! Yeah I'm starting to see that electrical is hella expensive. Whole reason I picked the taramps smart 5k is because people said it's a great bang for the buck amp and will do 5000watts at 2ohms which is what both my dvc dual 2 ohm subs will be wired to (wish I would've bought two 4ohm dvc 15s to wire down to 1 ohm but did not realize this at the time I bought em 😒). I would love to do a build log! You've got me sold on that and I will definitely have some questions and will get stuck at certain points. Already got the box building skills down too hehe (look below (double baffle, 3/4 mdf, 1 5/8" drywall screws every two inches, screw holes topped off with bondo, 3 coats of binz shellac based primer, splattered black "oil based" paint to finish it off))

IMG_1454.JPG

That is a nice looking box! Did you model it on a computer program? I wish I could understand box modeling programs lol. 

15 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

That is a nice looking box! Did you model it on a computer program? I wish I could understand box modeling programs lol. 

Thank you! I am pleased with how it performs too. Yes, I did not model/design it myself though. I actually had a guy on facebook design it for me for $25. I don't understand box designing either lol that is why I said to hell with it and paid for someone to do it for me

22 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Thank you! I am pleased with how it performs too. Yes, I did not model/design it myself though. I actually had a guy on facebook design it for me for $25. I don't understand box designing either lol that is why I said to hell with it and paid for someone to do it for me

I did the same exact thing. I paid a dude to design it right. Now I just need to assemble it🤣

Paragraphs, please, that was painful to read.

Take your time and do your research, plan it properly.

Don't half ass it, I did that with my current install which was basically a "slap it together" (single 12, amp, box, LOC), and it looks like a rats nest in my trunk.

Taking it to a shop is for sure not going to get it done on a budget, plus what's wrong with learning how to do it yourself? You're just as capable as a shop if you have the motivation and willingness.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

5 hours ago, EricM9104 said:

Paragraphs, please, that was painful to read.

Take your time and do your research, plan it properly.

Don't half ass it, I did that with my current install which was basically a "slap it together" (single 12, amp, box, LOC), and it looks like a rats nest in my trunk.

Taking it to a shop is for sure not going to get it done on a budget, plus what's wrong with learning how to do it yourself? You're just as capable as a shop if you have the motivation and willingness.

My bad. I rushed my current build because I was excited to get it done and yeah it is like a rat nests like yours lol. I agree about the shop, my build keeps getting more and more expensive and added labor from a shop is not going to help.

Archived