Second Skin Audio

Bolting your enclosure=more SPL?

CrownVic07

I'm having an argument with a friend. We agree that a sub box should be bolted down, in case of an accident, but he thinks bolting it down will make it louder. I don't think it will make an audible difference. It's a sealed JL10W7 in the back seat of a Toyota Tundra, if any of that matters. If we just set the box on the back seat, he thinks the box is going to jump around and lose energy, apparently. I think the sub and box probably weigh 50 lbs. and the mms(moving mass) is like 158 grams(about 5.5oz) and I don't see how 5.5oz is going to make a 50 lbs box walk like an old washing machine. What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, CrownVic07 said:

I'm having an argument with a friend. We agree that a sub box should be bolted down, in case of an accident, but he thinks bolting it down will make it louder. I don't think it will make an audible difference. It's a sealed JL10W7 in the back seat of a Toyota Tundra, if any of that matters. If we just set the box on the back seat, he thinks the box is going to jump around and lose energy, apparently. I think the sub and box probably weigh 50 lbs. and the mms(moving mass) is like 158 grams(about 5.5oz) and I don't see how 5.5oz is going to make a 50 lbs box walk like an old washing machine. What are your thoughts?

Personally, with that expensive sub, I'd bolt it down.

As far as output, it might help a little just because it has a hard surface to help brace it, but probably not even an audible difference. 

That said, enclosure position makes an audible difference. It might sound better on the seat, it might sound better bolted on the passenger side, maybe the drivers side, maybe the middle, maybe facing back and so on and so forth. That's something you'd have to experiment with and decide what sounds better to you. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Personally, with that expensive sub, I'd bolt it down.

As far as output, it might help a little just because it has a hard surface to help brace it, but probably not even an audible difference. 

That said, enclosure position makes an audible difference. It might sound better on the seat, it might sound better bolted on the passenger side, maybe the drivers side, maybe the middle, maybe facing back and so on and so forth. That's something you'd have to experiment with and decide what sounds better to you. 

Thanks for the response. I completely agree. If he's interested I would do for him the same I did for my car as I have a sub where the backseat used to be. My cheap dayton mic only goes up to 120 db and I just played some test tones at like 100 db to not annoy the neighbors and basically put in every position possible to find the sweet spot, and their definitely was a sweet spot. I agree about bolting it down for the safety of the sub and the safety of driver. Our disagreement was if it would make it louder. I told him that I would cut off my own genitalia and eat it, if he gained 1 db from bolting it down. I don't think I get anything if I win.

1 hour ago, CrownVic07 said:

Thanks for the response. I completely agree. If he's interested I would do for him the same I did for my car as I have a sub where the backseat used to be. My cheap dayton mic only goes up to 120 db and I just played some test tones at like 100 db to not annoy the neighbors and basically put in every position possible to find the sweet spot, and their definitely was a sweet spot. I agree about bolting it down for the safety of the sub and the safety of driver. Our disagreement was if it would make it louder. I told him that I would cut off my own genitalia and eat it, if he gained 1 db from bolting it down. I don't think I get anything if I win.

I think your nuts are safe🤣

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Was just having this convo the other day. Friend of mine bolted his box to the back wall of his s10, lost like .7 db. Another friend unbolted his (also an S10, extended cab as opposed to single cab) and lost .3 db. Very very vehicle and maybe even box dependant. 

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build