using DD1 with factory HU, DSP, and 2 amps

I'm sure the info is on this forum, but I've been searching and can't find the answer. 

Obviously the DD1 should be used to get the max HU output, but should it also be used to set the gain on the DSP, or leave the DSP at 0db and just set the Amp gains? Would there be any benefit to boosting the gain on the DSP to just short of distortion? 

Using an Audiocontrol DM-608 dsp.

I would use the DD-1 for all components. 

It measures more than just clipping. It'll detect distortion as well. So, even if you end up adjusting the gain down for whatever reason, at least you'll be aware of the max you can go without distortion. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yes, you can and should use the DD-1 on your DSP as well.
Treat your DSP as a headunit, use the 0db tone and the appropriate tone for the appropriate channel outputs (IE, 1khz for front/rear dedicated dsp outputs, and 40hz for dedicated sub  outputs on your dsp), this way you have the maximum clean a/c voltage output from your DSP. Also make sure all EQs on the DSP are flat when doing this as well!
Now the one thing to be careful of is the a/c voltage output, you don't want to set it higher than your amps inputs can handle, so after tuning with the DD-1 you may want to check the rca a/c voltage output of the DSP because the DSP can and will take your 4v rca signal and turn it into 6-9+ volts output. So if your amps can only handle a 5volt input then you will want to back the voltage down some on the DSP, and then go and match voltage for each output. 

Then use the DD-1 on your amplifiers using the appropriate tones with your desired gain overlap setting (-5db, -10db, etc).
I think my Audison Bitone DSP was putting out 11.7 volts clean when tuned with my DD-1 but I backed all the levels down to 4.5volts that I verified with my multimeter and then I have my amp gains up about 1/8, its very very little. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

It measures more than just clipping. It'll detect distortion as well. 

Wrong, I still cant understand how people think this or maybe you worded it wrong but the DD-1 will NEVER measure clipping.
You will have distortion long before clipping is ever seen on an oscilloscope. Once the red light on the DD-1 lights up you hit 1% THD so by the time the wave is becoming deformed on an oscilloscope you are so far beyond that 1% THD that the DD-1 is looking for.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1
  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

10 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

Wrong, I still cant understand how people think this or maybe you worded it wrong but the DD-1 will NEVER measure clipping.
You will have distortion long before clipping is ever seen on an oscilloscope. Once the red light on the DD-1 lights up you hit 1% THD so by the time the wave is becoming deformed on an oscilloscope you are so far beyond that 1% THD that the DD-1 is looking for.

No, I didn't miss word it. I was just wrong. Thank you for the clarification. I thought it measured both. I must admit, I only skimmed through the manual lol. 

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out!