Sonic Electronix

Multiple Enclosures Tuned the Same

I have heard talk about people trying to put multiple subwoofer enclosures in one vehicle. Usually people just tryna get the most bass with whatever subs they fall into.

But most the time this is met with people saying how bad the subs could basically counter act each other at most frequencies.

However, what if I were to put two similar boxes together (same tune specifically)? 

Maybe I can get them tuned the same but air space is slightly off?

Or maybe air space and tune is same for both boxes but I have to use a slightly different port for each box, to fit in vehicle and achieve the same tune?

Would you expect 

Just as much fighting between the subs?

Maybe a little less than what you'd get with completely different enclosures but still not good?

Or do yall think it could give me some gains without sounding like crap on most frequencies?

Also, if you expect fighting, what if I put one in the trunk and one in the cab of my car?

The only time I've read about using 2 different subs in the same car, and it being successful, was an SQ setup. He had a big sub in the trunk, tuned really low, and another 8 inch sub in the foot well in a sealed enclosure. Then, using the DSP, tuned, EQed, and time aligned the crap out of it to get the desired outcome. 

It comes down to the subwoofers being different, but fighting for the same air. Even if they're in separate enclosures, they're still fighting for the same air inside the vehicle. Sound waves and crap.

Different motor strength, different spider stiffness, different x-max, and different power handling (and more) all play into how a subwoofer moves. If they don't move the same, you'll have issues.

Same as if you use 2 subs and 2 amps. You'll lose potential output if the gains aren't matched because the subwoofers won't be moving exactly the same. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

14 hours ago, Toma said:

Would you expect 

Just as much fighting between the subs?

Maybe a little less than what you'd get with completely different enclosures but still not good?

Or do yall think it could give me some gains without sounding like crap on most frequencies?

Also, if you expect fighting, what if I put one in the trunk and one in the cab of my car?

You can always find used subs sold as a pair of the same kind or buy a single sub with greater cone area and better power handling, selling what you have, no need to expose yourself to a potentially failed setup if you can get it right on the first try and avoid wasting a lot of time.

I'm sorry fellas I should have given a little info about my personal situation.

I have two Svr15s and an Rp1500.1d 

I currently have a prefab sealed box for the two; but I pulled one sub out, boarded up the cutout, and added a port.

I've found that it is louder now since the subs need 3.5cubes each and the sealed enclosure is 4.2 total cubic ft airspace! So they were severely smothered when both in that box.

I'm working on a built in box that will house them both hopefully with front facing ports and sealing off the trunk.

In the meantime I'm just curious if I could put a similar ported box in and run both subs till I get the super box built 🤙

Thanks for all your replies and help, I always enjoy reading and learning about subs speakers and audio in general

Below is the current setup. Not a very good video to show off the work I did on this box. But I thought it was interesting because all searches on the internet relevant to 'porting a sealed box' says don't do it it's bad! But I found in my particular situation it was great!

Who knows, maybe I will find the same with this separate box idea 🤷

Skar svr15, rp1500.1d wired 2ohm

4.2cube box

5.5x5.5x7inch port

42 hz tune (sadly, I was going lower but made a mistake when cutting and ran out of wood)

Alright, yes a very different situation indeed.

It would be a very bad idea to port your box keeping the two subs inside, you will agree. But like you did it it works fine because a single 15" works fine around on 4 net ported.

1 hour ago, Toma said:

I'm sorry fellas I should have given a little info about my personal situation.

I have two Svr15s and an Rp1500.1d 

I currently have a prefab sealed box for the two; but I pulled one sub out, boarded up the cutout, and added a port.

I've found that it is louder now since the subs need 3.5cubes each and the sealed enclosure is 4.2 total cubic ft airspace! So they were severely smothered when both in that box.

I'm working on a built in box that will house them both hopefully with front facing ports and sealing off the trunk.

In the meantime I'm just curious if I could put a similar ported box in and run both subs till I get the super box built 🤙

Thanks for all your replies and help, I always enjoy reading and learning about subs speakers and audio in general

Below is the current setup. Not a very good video to show off the work I did on this box. But I thought it was interesting because all searches on the internet relevant to 'porting a sealed box' says don't do it it's bad! But I found in my particular situation it was great!

Who knows, maybe I will find the same with this separate box idea 🤷

Skar svr15, rp1500.1d wired 2ohm

4.2cube box

5.5x5.5x7inch port

42 hz tune (sadly, I was going lower but made a mistake when cutting and ran out of wood)

If you made the 2 boxes identical, you wouldn't have any problems. 

Though, in my opinion, I wouldn't waste time, energy, and money and building another one. I would just focus 100%on the box you're planning to build for both of them. Ain't nothin' to it but to do it

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 1 month later...

setup -
2 JL Audio 10W0v3-4 powered by an Mrv-F300 - Alpine 4-Channel 300W Rms V Power Series Amplifier with a pioneer avh2500nex head unit

so, about a year ago I had gotten my first truck, a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500. The previous owner's setup is still installed inside. Custom sealed box with 2 JL Audio 10W0v3-4's. The box design is interesting, both subs sit right next to each other. The box is under the left passenger seat. I've always dreamed of having a system... I want this to hit. When I got the truck, the previous owner had kept the stock OEM chevy head unit on it, no idea why... but he kept it. As you can expect, that didn't hold up for a month when the keys were in my hands. I upgrades to the AVH 2500NEX and had a shop do it because I have gone there for a while. To my surprise, they routed the subs to the left rear speaker. I went in the pioneer head unit setting and turned off the sub... did nothing so I began muting all the speakers til I found that the left rear speaker also was getting sub-signal... they cut a corner there.

My first question is... should I really take it apart and plug the sub into the actual SUB output, would it be worth it?

My second question is the amp... 500w mono sub amp, there are 2 JL's should I get a new amp, if so which one would be optimal for my setup? Does this amp push enough safe power for these subs?

My third question is the behind amp controls. Where should I set the gain, LP filter, and bass eq?

If you can answer any of these questions that would be amazing. I appreciate the help, it's my first system.

Archived