Cheap Menards Speakers not 8ohm? Multiple inputs?

I got some cheap ceiling speakers to use for a finished garage. Unboxed them to find 2 terminals. Instructions state the speaker is 8ohms, but shows both being used. I hooked up both separately to the stereo and don't see or hear a difference. either one powers the tweets and mid. When I measured both with the multimeter, both terminals measured about 5.4ohms. 

I'm a little stumped here. Anyone that can help?

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/home-electronics/speakers/legrand-reg-6-5-single-in-ceiling-stereo-speaker/ms1652v1/p-1444451187765-c-6300.htm?tid=-3232649277531189979&ipos=2

image.thumb.png.07ceac756887d6fc5c0f6da3258c594b.png

image.thumb.png.77857cd4f9af6172299f154374690bc2.png

Take a multi meter and probe between + and + or - and -. I bet they're internally paralleled to give more installation options

As to the resistance: It's the impedance that's rated at 8 ohms. Not resistance, which is what we measure with a multi meter. The difference being: Resistance measured with DC, and impedance is  AC.

Now I have 2 thoughts spring into mind on this:

1. The manufacturer expects inductive behaviors of the moving coil/magnet system to reflect closer to an 8 ohm impedance, despite a 5.4 ohm resistance. You'll see this on the car stereo side too. Dual "1 ohm" coils can read around 0.7.

2. The presence of the crossover is affecting the DC resistance of the system as it's intended to function on an AC system.

Do you mean just check for continuity between + + or - -, correct? Nothing.

They are acting as two separate voice coils. Treating them as such gets 10.4 in series and 2.7 in parallel.

I just tried hooking both up on a L and R channel and it does sound like it's only getting partial signal or only partial speaker function when only one is hooked up. Sounds much fuller range when both are hooked up. 

The weird part is that the mid works with either or hooked up.

9 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

Take a multi meter and probe between + and + or - and -. I bet they're internally paralleled to give more installation options

As to the resistance: It's the impedance that's rated at 8 ohms. Not resistance, which is what we measure with a multi meter. The difference being: Resistance measured with DC, and impedance is  AC.

Now I have 2 thoughts spring into mind on this:

1. The manufacturer expects inductive behaviors of the moving coil/magnet system to reflect closer to an 8 ohm impedance, despite a 5.4 ohm resistance. You'll see this on the car stereo side too. Dual "1 ohm" coils can read around 0.7.

2. The presence of the crossover is affecting the DC resistance of the system as it's intended to function on an AC system.

^^^ That

It's a no name company with some stupidly low priced speakers so I'm sure they ordered whatever speakers that could be bought dirt cheap which just so happened to be dual voice coils. Thats really the only reason I could think of why they would do that.
I wouldn't send a separate left and right signal to the speaker since it is a dual voice coil mid, when playing a stereo signal (left and right channel) through 1 speaker that is dual voice coil you will create massive phase and cancellation issues making it sound like crap and the coils will just fight themselves and most likely heat up in the process of doing so.
I'd just wire each speaker pod in series unless whatever you're using to power them can handle being wired in parallel.

Archived