Second Skin Audio

4-8inch subs or 2-10’s

Ron36

So have been looking to build a new box , I have room for 2 separate sealed enclosures both will be around .65-.7 cubes each . Was thinking about 4 Skar VD 8’s but I already have 2 Sundown SD-3 10’s laying around. Both would fit in the sealed enclosures . Amp is a Skar SK 1500.1. Just wondering which would be louder and if it’s even worth spending the money on the 8’s but they are cheap . Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Here is a comparison between one of the best 8" subs for sealed use and the SD-3 10:

White Line: two Image Dynamics IDQ 8 in a 0.7 cubes net box and each sub on 400W RMS.

Red line: a single Sundown SD-3 10 in a 0.7 cubes net box and the sub on 400W RMS.

sealed.png

One can see that the two 8s on 800W can only slightly surpass the single 10" on 400W on frequencies below 50Hz, it is only at much higher frequencies that the power and cone area area advantages shows, same or worse results were obtained with other 8s including the Skar VD-8. which fared worse than the IDQ 8".

Conclusions: from the 8s reviewed all will benefit from ported use to be efficient at lower frequencies, if wanting to stay in that box size and on sealed enclosure type there is little to nothing to be gained when going the two 8s route. As always real world opinions and experiences have their place, so ask around more before deciding what you should do.

So I ordered the 8’s kinda just want to see what they can do. Will post a build log when they come in . If they suck I’ll chop it up and put the 10’s in , because the 10’s are shallow subs I kinda figured the 4 8’s might cancel out 2 10’s and be pretty even. Kinda doing it because never had 4 8’s before had about every other subs you can think of and not trying to be a ground pounder anymore I’m getting old.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived