Second Skin Audio

In need of a good prefab

I'll keep this short since I don't want to be wasting anyone's time. But after attempting the design of a 6th order where I could have the ports come up through the rear deck of my 98' accord coupe. I've realised that I've just become too short on time in my daily life to worry about constructing an enclosure. 

(back story) However, I've noticed that most prefabbed enclosures out there are rated at 1ohm and always have too high of a watt rms. I have plans to install a high output alternator in my accord this thursday, taking it from a measly 80amp to the one from an odyssey from the same generation which outputs 132 amps (I dont use a lot of features like heated seats and defrost which come equipped with the car so maybe that should save some amperage in the system). Because even right now. My system which consists of a set of CT Sounds Meso Components in the front (75rms@4ohm x 2). With my pioneer headunit. And a Dayton Audio max-x10" (350rms@4ohmx1). Being ran off of a Pioneer GM-DX975. Is too taxing for the system, as I find myself from one second hearing no sound, to it then blasting after I've cranked it up while low. 

(question at hand) With the new Alternator. I think this should allow me to run a system up to about 1000w without having any voltage issues. I've already upgraded the group 24 battery to a group 34 lead acid (before I heard about AGM's). So subtracting the components which take a maximum of 150wrms. That leave me with 750-800wrms for a prefab sub enclosure. I also intend to run the subs off of a Pioneer GM-D9701 (500w@4ohms, 800w@2ohms, 1200w@1ohm) If anyone has any suggests. That would be greatly appreciated. Options I've considered have been the Skar SDR-1X18D2, and CT Sounds TROPO-2X10D4 (however this one demands 1300w). I prioritize SQ/SQL over SPL as I dont typically find myself enjoying "one hit wonders". But if someone suggests "buy these subwoofers, wire them like x, and put them in this prefab" I would be very open to that aswell. 

Sorry for asking, I just figured I should ask the experts before scraping the idea as a whole. 

If you only play music your electrical system needs to be able to source only 50-60% of the RMS rating, going through your electrical after the alternator upgrade you could use the Pioneer GM-D9701 and the CT Sounds TROPO-2X10D4 that you want without any electrical issues as long as you don't play your system with the car off for more than a few minutes a day.

Those "loaded" subwoofer enclosure that companies sell are set for daily use and will not behave as "one note wonders".

You can buy that equipment and you will have no issues. Just keep in mind that well thought and researched custom solutions that can take months in planning give much better results.

Archived