So my fuel pump does not keep pressure and needs to be replaced. I live in an apartment and was going to take it to my gradfathers house to do it. Apparently both my dad and grandpa think that i will catch myself on fire and die and burn down the house and the state of Florida :rolleyes: is it really that dangerous? truck is a 95 chevy c1500 v6 tbi. I have the manual and it does not seem like a big deal but they have got me thinking. by the way the shop wants 125 labor to do the work and i already have the part.

thanks

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

So my fuel pump does not keep pressure and needs to be replaced. I live in an apartment and was going to take it to my gradfathers house to do it. Apparently both my dad and grandpa think that i will catch myself on fire and die and burn down the house and the state of Florida :rolleyes: is it really that dangerous? truck is a 95 chevy c1500 v6 tbi. I have the manual and it does not seem like a big deal but they have got me thinking. by the way the shop wants 125 labor to do the work and i already have the part.

thanks

ok, the only 2 fuel pumps I have experience with are a 91 probe and an old skool mustang. The probe was easy. Changed under the back seat. The mustang, we actually dropped the tank from underneath the car. No it is not a huge deal, at least not to me. You just have to be careful, use wooden blocks to support the gas tank so you don't dent it, use the proper tools to get the fuel pump out, keep it away from spark and open flame, and do it the way the book tells you to. That is why the book is there. Oh yeah, and don't blow yourself up!!!! LOL!! Everything should be fine. Safety first!!! If you have any doubts, fork over the 125 and literally watch your shop do the pump personally at the shop side by side with the mechanics so you learn. Most likely they will let you. If they don't they just don't want you to know how to fix it yourself. Be safe!!!!

Loud as f*ck, and sounds good doing it.

Team built from here on out!!!!

BIG things to come.........

Missing link is the shite!!!

SMDMafiaEagleScorpio1.jpg

bannerfans_8aed9634.png

Changing a fuel pump is easy and is not a big deal (pending on the car). Do wear latex gloves and make sure you clamp the fuel lines before and after the pump (if your pump is not in the fuel tank), and be prepared to get fuel all over.

Where people get scared in dealing with fuel pumps is that they never disconnect the battery and when they pull the pump, they realize that there are power wires going to the pump...and well we all know electrical sparks and fuel don't mix. Unplug the battery, clamp the fuel lines, replace the existing pump, unclamp the fuel lines, hook the battery back up and whoola.

Before changing your pump, have you happened to change your fuel filter? If your filter is clogged, this would explain why the pump can't hold the pressure, as it is working too hard.

Kev

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Changing this pump isnt that difficult I have done quite a few. The pump is in the tank. Drain the fuel before you pull the tank down. As far as safety like str86diesel said disconnect the battery just for precautions. If you feel uncomfortable 125.00 is very decent price. Average time of replacement for this pump is around 1.5- 2.0 hrs labor. Also make sure you replace the pickup screen and fuel filter .Good luck

1 15" Nighthade

Sundown 1500D

3.4cubes @ 34

on your truck, its easier to raise the bed to get to the top of the tank than dropping the tank IMO anyway.

just use some wood blocks and a floor jack and raise up the left side of the bed(after loosening the bolts) and block it up, get under there, and get to work

and do like str86 said and diconnect the battery and clamp the lines.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

It's pretty easy I had to take my fuel pump out (under the back seat) and lower the tank to get dirt and rust out of it....clogged my injectors....so about 16 screws and 6 bolts later I had it off....its pretty easy.

edit: 91 mercury capri....and do like they said DISCONNECT your battery.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

And also wear somethin to protect your eyes gettin gas in them doesnt feel good. i drained my tank before i did mine and it slipped off the jack on the way down, shook a hose and i got a face full of it so clamp the lines with a clamp( and not a bolt ) :)

I wanted a good entry level system...Kenwood KVT-512 7 inch touch screen.Went with alpine... 2 Type R 15's @ 4ohms powered by 2 MRP-M1000 amps, dual 2 farad caps, Type R 6x9's and 5x1/4's, Optima battery and HO Alt soon to come. All in the back off my 03 Pontilac bonneville. Simple but effective.

Changing a fuel pump is easy and is not a big deal (pending on the car). Do wear latex gloves and make sure you clamp the fuel lines before and after the pump (if your pump is not in the fuel tank), and be prepared to get fuel all over.

Where people get scared in dealing with fuel pumps is that they never disconnect the battery and when they pull the pump, they realize that there are power wires going to the pump...and well we all know electrical sparks and fuel don't mix. Unplug the battery, clamp the fuel lines, replace the existing pump, unclamp the fuel lines, hook the battery back up and whoola.

Before changing your pump, have you happened to change your fuel filter? If your filter is clogged, this would explain why the pump can't hold the pressure, as it is working too hard.

Kev

yep the filter outside the tank has been changed but the little strainer filter thing inside has not. It was suppose to go to the shop this morning but i decided i will do it myself. I rather learn how to do it myself and save the cash doing it (even though my grandpa offered to pay so i dont blow up his house :lol: )

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

alright well here it is now i just cant get the damn lockring off :D any tips?

IMG_0155-2.jpg

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

alright well here it is now i just cant get the damn lockring off :D any tips?

IMG_0155-2.jpg

I ALWAYS USE A HAMMER AND A CHISEL MAKE SURE YOU ARE TURNING THE RIGHT

WAY JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE SENDING UNIT(the plastic piece)

ALSO BE SURE TO GET A NEW STRAINER OR YOU WILL BE PUTTING ALL THE SH*T OFF

THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK RIGHT INTO THE NEW PUMP. GOOD LUCK

1 15" Nighthade

Sundown 1500D

3.4cubes @ 34