Update: Chris Lewis... And His Decibel Chart Article Inside

Much respect given but you still use mathematical formulas to calculate box volume and tuning frequencies, why, cuz a little math wouldn't hurt. ^_^

I sure do, but those formulas don't try to tell me how loud I'll be. :)

And btw, I don't use one to figure out my tuning frequency for competition boxes. I just slap different port lengths in until its loud. Aeroports ftw.

But for daily driver boxes, absolutely. Everyone loves a little math when it is practical to do so. :)

Team B2, Team Audiotechnix, Team Kicker, Team XS Power, Team Sundown, Team Maxxsonics, Team DD2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, S2, S3, S4, DB1) -1 DD 9510F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ .7 ohm strapped=154.2 headrest, 129.2 driveby-2 DD 9510F's + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=154.0 headrest-1 DD 9512F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=153.5 headrest, 131.1 Driveby

-2 DD 9512F + 2 B2 Zero1's @ .5 strapped= 157.0 headrest, 158.0 outlaw-1 Sundown SA-8 + 2 MB Quart 2000's=148.8 headrest, 150.6 outlaw

And btw, I don't use one to figure out my tuning frequency for competition boxes. I just slap different port lengths in until its loud. Aeroports ftw.

das awesome. seems like the simplest method as well....:)

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

you still use mathematical formulas to calculate box volume and tuning frequencies, why, cuz a little math wouldn't hurt. ^_^

Seriously, you won't find a lot of SPL guys who actually pay much attention to the maths of the box, because once you throw it in the car it's all totally out of whack anyway. You build a solid box that's either big, medium or small then you try about 200 different ports, arrangements of car+box, whatever, and you keep sweeping it on the termlab until you find the peak. That's how you tune ;)

Say if you want to peak at 62hz, you don't tune the box to 62hz, you build a solid ass box then you tweak it until the system as a whole peaks at 62hz...

As people are saying, go build even a shitty little Street A car that barely cracks 140dB and you'll still realise that maths means almost nothing at all in SPL.... it's so extreme that nothing behaves in an expected or modellable way... Ironically the best car to model it in would be an Extreme car, where you eliminate variables so it would almost be possible to base it on a formula... but then the guy adds a piece of sandpaper to a wall and gains 3db and your maths is fucked again.

And tuning daily boxes? Who cares... you just make a big long port and go with it :D

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I don't want to put much weight into this but I did have a pretty talented SQ guy tell me exactly what I was doing in SPL with a few calcs. without me saying what I was doing or hearing it full tilt. Kinda scary and cool at the same time.

It helped me to look into my box more to gain the efficiency I was missing. And to realistically expect out of the truck with upgrades.

Edited by kingsuv

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I don't want to put much weight into this but I did have a pretty talented SQ guy tell me exactly what I was doing in SPL with a few calcs. without me saying what I was doing or hearing it full tilt. Kinda scary and cool at the same time.

It helped me to look into my box more to gain the efficiency I was missing. And to realistically expect out of the truck with upgrades.

Guys name, address, and the nearest Army Surplus store?

If you wanted to make a mathematical formula for your car it would be so complex that it would take your entire lifetime to figure out. It's just easier to do the actually testing rather than sitting around all day calculating theories.

1992 GMC Sonoma

2008 MECA S1 Champ, 2010 MECA S2 Champ

If you wanted to make a mathematical formula for your car it would be so complex that it would take your entire lifetime to figure out. It's just easier to do the actually testing rather than sitting around all day calculating theories.

Pretty much... and then you gain 1dB and the boot panels resonate just a little more and your calculations go BLEEHHHH and stop working.

Just like the cars resonant frequency usually gets lower as SPL increases, which is why sweeping with a sealed box is only a ballpark figure... also why I think it's odd when people ask on here for resonant frequencies for vehicles... even if they're told say 50-60hz that's the difference between a peak and a trough so totally meaningless ;/

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Just like the cars resonant frequency usually gets lower as SPL increases, which is why sweeping with a sealed box is only a ballpark figure... also why I think it's odd when people ask on here for resonant frequencies for vehicles... even if they're told say 50-60hz that's the difference between a peak and a trough so totally meaningless ;/

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but from what I've discovered (in my truck) is that as the power increases the frequency also increases. My old setup that peaked at 47ish hz (full power) would peak in the high 30's at low volume. Therefore, low volume testing is worthless. I haven't tested this out in any more cars others than mine.

1992 GMC Sonoma

2008 MECA S1 Champ, 2010 MECA S2 Champ

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but from what I've discovered (in my truck) is that as the power increases the frequency also increases. My old setup that peaked at 47ish hz (full power) would peak in the high 30's at low volume. Therefore, low volume testing is worthless. I haven't tested this out in any more cars others than mine.

Even more reason why theory fails then :)

Every car I have worked on has dropped a few hz between 140ish and 150ish, again it shows different vehicles, different setups behave completely... differently? Whoever would have guessed :P

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!