okay guys i have a mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 Twin turbo, and around 7-9lbs of boost i can hear a whining sound coming from the engine. just want to know if any one has experience with turbos. is this normal or is there something wrong with my car.

okay guys i have a mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 Twin turbo, and around 7-9lbs of boost i can hear a whining sound coming from the engine. just want to know if any one has experience with turbos. is this normal or is there something wrong with my car.

a buddy of mine has a datsun 510 greddy turbo charged nissan sr20. i think his does the same thing. i think its the spool of the turbo whinning. i think thats regular. then again he gets out of his car with the keys then it shuts off after 30 secs. might be different.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

• 2 weeks later...

yes.. as str86 said its normal.. turbos spin in excess of 100,000 RPM.. so they make a sweet whine noise.. also great with a straight exhaust...

New system"RF T5001BD 980watts RMS at one ohmSoundstream T5-12"kenwood 4 inch front doorpowerbass 5 inch back2.3 cube foot enclosure tuned to about 34hz

a buddy of mine has a datsun 510 greddy turbo charged nissan sr20. i think his does the same thing. i think its the spool of the turbo whinning. i think thats regular. then again he gets out of his car with the keys then it shuts off after 30 secs. might be different.

Thats a turbo timer.....it allows the oil to drain from the turbo and it also allows them to cool down so they don't become damaged.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

nothing wrong at all like everyone here has said, and yes it sounds MUCH louder with a strait exhaust, and plus turbo whine is freakin sweet

no1 said anything was wrong and my car just happens to be turbocharged with straight exhaust....so I do know what I am talking about <_<:wacko:

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Well, yes it could be the whine of the turbo just spooling up, but a friend of mine had a 3000GT VR4 as well, with stock turbos and his started whining really loud, he thought it was just the turbo spooling up but he decided to check the turbo bearings, and he could wiggle the impeller around inside the "snail" or turbo housing, so i'm not saying it is your bearings but i mean it wouldn't hurt to just do a wiggle test with the impellar when the engine isnt running

Edited by e_train

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif

nothing wrong at all like everyone here has said, and yes it sounds MUCH louder with a strait exhaust, and plus turbo whine is freakin sweet

Acctually a Turbo will make the Exhaust on a staight pipe sound pretty quite in comparison to a Straight pipe on a N/A Car.

The Turbo chops up the Exhaust as its spooling up. And too much of a staight pipe will lower back end pressure and really start messing things up.

I had a 3" cat back straigh pipe on my RB20DET sounded beefy and it really wasnt that loud, Keeped the cops away atleast :)

Turbo whine is normal, Assuming you have Stock Turbos on your GT they should make some spooling noise. Bigger the Turbo the more air (noise) it will make, Most stock turbos are pretty small and hardly make any spool up sounds. this is not to be confused with Blow off/Wastegate chatter.

Now when I blew a Turbo on my S4 when it spooled up it sounded like a griding squeek.

Always allow your engine to warm up (never rev up a cold turbo charged engine) and if you drive longer then an hour in the car let it idle down for about 5-7 minutes before shutting it down. This helps the oil from burning up inside the turbo oil lines not letting it cool down can cause them to plug up and burn out the bearings.

Edited by Shinju

^couldnt have said it better... always cool down your engine for a few minutes after a drive...

we had a lady come into the dealership..(i work as a tech at subaru) and her turbo had almost seized because she would run it hard and then park and turn it off.. well it would be turned off then it would heatsoak and boil the oil and turn to slidge...needless to say we replaced it..

another situation we had an STI come in which did the same thing but it made a bearing seize or somethin and it ripped the exhaust compressor wheel right off the shaft...pretty sweet looking how it did it but customer wasnt happy..

New system"RF T5001BD 980watts RMS at one ohmSoundstream T5-12"kenwood 4 inch front doorpowerbass 5 inch back2.3 cube foot enclosure tuned to about 34hz