Sonic Electronix

Why Is It So Complicated To Match The Rms Of A Sub To An Amp?

Is it me or alot of other people that have a hard time to figure out how much power to put on a sub?(I don't have a hard time)

All you need to do is look at the specs of a subwoofer and use those to find the rite amp. Its not hard.

IDK maybe I'm in a pissy mood.LOL

It just seems like if a sub says its a 4 ohm sub that can handle 600 watts. Common sense tells me to look for an amp that does 600 watts at 4 ohm.

Give or take 100 watts.

If its a 250 watt sub I would go for plus or minus 50 watts.

I don't get it.

:rolleyes::huh::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

some people just DONT GET IT...

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

I think that alot of noobs arent sure which number to go off of. That why we have these forums, to help guys that are just getting into the hobby get there stuff right. Manufactures put all the rating of rms and peak power, then complicate it by showing all each channel at every ohm load possible, then show it bridged at every ohm load possible. Its no wonder guys need help sorting it out.

I almost forgot to mention the power ratings on the sub, each coil, rms and peak and now they have a sliding scale that shows the ok and danger zone. Plus alot of guys get tripped up on the dual voice impedance match.

ninja edit :ph34r:

Edited by sonic purity

n2caraudio.com

They get confused when see'n people from comp on you tube bangin 5000 watts per sub putting up huge numbers and the sub is only rated like 2000 watts and think that's the way to go IMO

So they put 1500 watts on a 500 watt sub and wonder what happend NEW FOURM TOPIC why did my grossly over power sub blow? The amp must be junk lol

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

They get confused when see'n people from comp on you tube bangin 5000 watts per sub putting up huge numbers and the sub is only rated like 2000 watts and think that's the way to go IMO

So they put 1500 watts on a 500 watt sub and wonder what happend NEW FOURM TOPIC why did my grossly over power sub blow? The amp must be junk lol

X2 Couldn't have said it better.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

I think that alot of noobs aret sure which number to go off of. That why we have these forums, to help guys that are just getting into the hobby get there stuff right. Manufactures put all the rating of rms and peak power, then complicate it by showing all each channel at every ohm load possible, then show it bridged at every ohm load possible. Its no wonder guys need help sorting it out.

I almost forgot to mention the power ratings on the sub, each coil, rms and peak and now they have a sliding scale that shows the ok and danger zone. Plus alot of guys get tripped up on the dual voice impedance match.

Ya befor I knew about the all mighty rms I would go off peak power when I was 16 str8 noob

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Ya befor I knew about the all mighty rms I would go off peak power when I was 16 str8 noob

I was the same way when I was 12, it all happened after I saw The Fast and The Furious...... I was crazy for ricers than...... :rolleyes:

Fuck peak watts.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I think its the dual voice coil ohmage and amp numbers that get people a little confused..."I want 2x 12inch dvc subs but do I want the dual 2 or 4 ohm? if I get an amp that can do 1000 at 1 ohm how come it only does 400 at 4 ohms and how do I even know its wired correctly? will I break it?" add to that the notion of geting a 2 channel or single channel amp for 2 subs and whatnot and folks get a little confused. you can do your research but its still best to bounce your questions off people who definitely know in my experience.

I promise no one is asking just to annoy you :P

Guys I think I just had one of those Pissy moments and I'm usually so anal about things and study them to much and I have worked with car audio for so long I guess I just got in a pissy mood.

I need to remember we all had to start at the bottom and learn our way up.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

I love this one :D

Edited by ISO

Terryswork001.png