Shit there went this thread.

it's still very much on topic. i'd actually like to read junior's response to what's been written.

granted, the word 'douchebag' might be a little rough -- but I don't have any other word to describe someone that would actively go looking for something to "screw" their employer with...after the employer did them a favor in giving them a job without a work permit to begin with. You are both in the wrong.

from my understanding, his alleged beef is the fact he doesn't get breaks...despite the fact that he admitted to taking smoke breaks whenever he wants. his other beef is the 'one smoke break per 2 hours'....it's written in black and white, each break is given per 2 hours of work...and he still laughs about it and admits to taking breaks whenever he wants.

i'm sure this thread was posted to vent a shitty highschool job. but to actually seek advice in what to bust the employer with? That's not the kind of advice i'd condone seeing on any forum...especially after the story he's provided. I will not apologize for having no empathy on the situation. Do not think for a second I haven't been there. Shitty jobs are a part of life. You don't go looking for frivolous lawsuits, you move on to bigger and better -- which means less breaks and bigger headaches. Having to tough it out to serve a customer is the reason why any of us have a job to begin with.

To finish this rant with a quote from resident SDOT laywer:

SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP.

funk-o-meter.gifteamBNSpl.jpgfunk-o-meter.gif

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((in stereo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

team audio thugz uuUhhHhhHhh. straight ghanxstuh since 2007.

ps - don't you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes? Remind the Better Business Bureau of that little tidbit of information when you drop the dime on the company for denying you a "smoke break"

funk-o-meter.gifteamBNSpl.jpgfunk-o-meter.gif

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((in stereo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

team audio thugz uuUhhHhhHhh. straight ghanxstuh since 2007.

it's still very much on topic. i'd actually like to read junior's response to what's been written.

granted, the word 'douchebag' might be a little rough -- but I don't have any other word to describe someone that would actively go looking for something to "screw" their employer with...after the employer did them a favor in giving them a job without a work permit to begin with. You are both in the wrong.

from my understanding, his alleged beef is the fact he doesn't get breaks...despite the fact that he admitted to taking smoke breaks whenever he wants. his other beef is the 'one smoke break per 2 hours'....it's written in black and white, each break is given per 2 hours of work...and he still laughs about it and admits to taking breaks whenever he wants.

i'm sure this thread was posted to vent a shitty highschool job. but to actually seek advice in what to bust the employer with? That's not the kind of advice i'd condone seeing on any forum...especially after the story he's provided. I will not apologize for having no empathy on the situation. Do not think for a second I haven't been there. Shitty jobs are a part of life. You don't go looking for frivolous lawsuits, you move on to bigger and better -- which means less breaks and bigger headaches. Having to tough it out to serve a customer is the reason why any of us have a job to begin with.

To finish this rant with a quote from resident SDOT laywer:

SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP.

you make good points, I am not debating that, I just thought you were overly harsh,

He also never said he wanted to screw his employer, sounded like he wanted to know his rights, you may very well be correct in that was original intentions, but he never did say that.

also working and not getting paid for it is Crap, and that should never happen.....

I think you are correct in your assesment that there is more to the story.

and for the record, I was not mad at you, nor did I call you any names, I just thought you where being assholish when it wasnt called for.

well sorry for making this a big controversy, I just feel all of the employees at my subway are treated un-fair (especially the non smokers). When I started the job in the description it told me i was to have a 30 minute break, and i've worked there for 6 months and I've yet to receive a break once. The smoke break thing isn't a biggy, i try to go by it but i'm usually smoking every hour. Its just the way they worded it kinda pissed me off. 3 minute breaks every 2 hours and at the end in bold letters it says "YOU ARE PAID TO WORK NOT TO SMOKE!!!" kinda like a kick in the nuts, first off I don't get a break to begin with, and now you want to take away my smoke breaks? I'm sorry if I seem like a whiney ass teenager to you, i'm just tired of getting fucked (especially if i'm legally entitled to something).

I just wanted to know my rights, I really am sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way deafy.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

I just have a few questions I cannot seem to find the answers to on google. At my job at hell.. i mean subway... We don't really get breaks. I'm pretty sure when i work 8 hour shifts there is a law against me not having a break. Am I wrong? So you know, i don't get a break, soooo I took alot of smoke breaks instead, then the 2 non smoking employes bitched and bitched and now we're only allowed a cigarette every two hours, no biggie I smoke when I want lol. Also I was wondering, lets say the store closes at 10, they say they will only pay me till 10:30 to finishing up closing. Well on busy nights i'm there past 10:30 not getting paid, if I leave i 'm pretty sure i'd get fired for not doing my work, is that against the law? I have to finish up closing without getting paid?

Anyone familiar with my rights? Also I'm 17, I don't think i'm even allowed to handle knives at my age, and I don't have a work permit. Could I screw subway up the royal a? Just kinda wondering because they're changing alot of shit at the store and screwing over the employees, I want something to fall back on when I get fed up finally with their shit.

Stop bitchin' lol.

You're probably only allowed two 10 minute breaks a day working full time.

I'd be pretty pissed if a co-worker went off every hour for a smoke break.

Get your hustle on closing up and such.

Don't think you'd need a workers permit, don't know about knives and shit. That'd be a question to check Ohio's child labor laws.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I can vouch for bass junkie and say that sometimes you simply cannot get the closing job done in a half an hour.

I use to work for a subway and most of the time, yes you can get it done in a half an hour depending on how much cleanup work was done prior to closing. It really all depends on when the last customers come in. I mean you have to shut everything down, do counts on every single thing in the store (bread, meat, chips, all that jazz) You as well have to total up all of the credit slips and make sure that they match up, you have to match up your food counts with what was sold. Sometimes you do make a small error and you have to re do a count. We are all human. Not to mention the floors have to be swept and mopped, dishes have to be cleaned. All of the food has to be stored away in the walk-ins. The deli fridge has to be cleaned out along with the hot wells.

There really is more to closing a subway down than you might actually think if you have never worked at one. Now my subway was I would say medium busy, and thats what we had to do. So imagine if he works at a high volume one, the counts are going to be higher, the credit slips are going to be bigger, the cash in the drawer will be more, there will be more floor space to clean, more tables and benches to clean.

I would say that if you cant get the closing stuff done in an hour past the closing time then yes, you are more than likely slacking but a half an hour is REALLY cutting it as far as time goes

You being a minor are required to have a half an hour break after every 4 hours of work. If you work for 4 hours and 1 minute without a half hour break, they are breaking the law. They CANNOT force you to work after 10:30 without paying you, and you are by law not allowed to work after 11 if it is a school night.

oh yea and all of that is federal law, so I guarantee it is the same in ohio.

Edited by littleitaly1990

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

also, I work in a movie theater, and unless it is an extremely slow night, we never close in less than an hour. Payless took an hour and the pizza place I worked at took an hour and a half with two people. I can definitely see a busy subway taking way longer than a half an hour.

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.