Second Skin Audio

Wall In A Cavy, Need Help With Port Please =)

alright i am going to be putting four 15" subs in my 92 cavalier, now i need help with my wall.

should i put two layers of mdf all the way around for the box? (3/4 in mdf)

how big should the port be? 4 15" dc either level 2 or level 3

also should i cut out the center bracing behind the rear seat so i can make the box go partly into the trunk to gain the added airspace? can i cut that peice lol.

i am going to be taking measurements later on today when its light out, any suggestions or wall building tips will be greatly appriciated. i just want it to hurt people when they get into my car, and i want to win some comps.

4 15" in a wall = :hairtrick: ? hopefully lol

Edited by jonathancullen89

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Guest aseanj52
alright i am going to be putting four 15" subs in my 92 cavalier, now i need help with my wall.

should i put two layers of mdf all the way around for the box? (3/4 in mdf)

how big should the port be? 4 15" dc either level 2 or level 3

also should i cut out the center bracing behind the rear seat so i can make the box go partly into the trunk to gain the added airspace? can i cut that peice lol.

i am going to be taking measurements later on today when its light out, any suggestions or wall building tips will be greatly appriciated. i just want it to hurt people when they get into my car, and i want to win some comps.

4 15" in a wall = :hairtrick: ? hopefully lol

Same thing i want to do in my Ram except 2 more 15's...Another question i have. How do i get the wall to look flush against the top/bottom/sides of truck. Sorry for thread steal

Edited by aseanj52

Same thing i want to do in my Ram except 2 more 15's...Another question i have. How do i get the wall to look flush against the top/bottom/sides of truck. Sorry for thread steal

You make templates out of cardboard and then trace them onto mdf/birch remember measure 1,000,000 times cut once...unless you like buying alot of mdf/birch.

Edited by wL<3bass

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

How much airspace do you have at the moment? Cutting into the boot might gain you a bit but if it means your box is shaped all funny it could just be 'dead' air and gain you little anyway.

Depending what you want to do and how much room you have I would be looking to go around 16 cubes + subs + port. Port around 200 sq.inches, ~16" long? Off the top of my head that should give tuning around 35hz +- a couple.

Either make it from double-skin 3/4" or build a solid-ass framework out of timber and then you could probably get away with single layer as long as you drill a hole in it and backfill it with Great Stuff then resin it up.

As for comps you're going to end up in a pretty high class with that many woofers. If you want to be winning you're gonna need a lot of power and probably more port area with higher tuning. Maybe 250sq of port or more, but you'll lose musical ability.

All that said, if you can get a few thousand watts to the wall I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled low to mid 150's on a burp, as long as you build it well. And that's plenty for hairtricks if you can do it at 36hz :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

aseanj52 - no not at all good question i didnt think of.

well i am going to start tearing out the rear seat here in a little bit, im not big into comps i just want to be louder then the locals (bass14 and some other kids).

i was going to tune it to 35hz do you think this is to low? i am trying to keep the box as square as possible so it is easier to find cu^ft.

and what demensions should i use for the port? skinny-er and long? huge hole? and where should i place the port? top/middle/bottom?

thanks! i cannot think of any other questions right now so ill start tearing apart my car =)

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

If you want the loudest possible you want the woofers on the meter side and the port on the drivers side.

If you want it to look cool, I would say do 2 woofers on each side and either a big port in the middle if you have room or across the top like that red S10 on here (00sdime00's?)

35hz is fine if you're just pounding music really loudly. Less good for SPL.

Need to know the box volume before we can give port dimensions but you probably want a good 200 sq.inch when it's all said and done.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

alright well i got dimensions of my of behind the seats and i came up with 17.035 cu^ft.

width-49

height-35

depth-20

i only need 12cu^ft for the level 2's.

i had an idea so i wouldnt have to loose my rear window, would i loose output if i stoped the box at the rear window line and followed the angle of the window to where the front of the wall would have been? then build a smaller box in the trunk and connect it all so i get my full 12cu^ft?

ill build a wall if i have to, id rather keep my back window if i can though. let me know ideas and whether or not i would loose output with a half wall.

thanks- john

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

ok so for the 1/2 wall i got these specs-

i used the12volt.com's wedge enclosure 2 to find airspace

width-49

height1-24

height2-16

depth-20

.75" thickness

and i got 9.535 cu^ft. i can easily get 4 cu^ft out of my trunk, leaving me with enought airspace for bracing and whatnot.

what do you guys think? i was thinking of putting the port on height 2 between my front seats or should i put it on the same face as the subs?

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

I don't know how you're going to get 4 15's into a half-wall in that car.

Building into the boot will give you some wierd-ass airflow inside the box, especially if the subs and port are on the same face (front)

Probably still work, just might not be as loud as it could potentially be.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

i have the room for all four. it follows the angle of the rear window area and will go all the way up to my seat.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-