Second Skin Audio

How to repair a subwoofer

1) a spinning turn table you can use to lay down perfect beads  of glue on the speaker

2) proper epoxy (some people like CA cuz it dries fast) and rubber based glue for surround/dome (Ive used black engine RTV and works damn good)

3) shims to pefectly center the coil, gap the coil from the pole piece/ top plate -If you have calipers which is a must have, you should have shims that are .010" 0.020" 0.030"

post-11-1166718700.jpg

047_47.JPG_thumb

post-11-1166718703.jpg

048_48.JPG_thumb

post-11-1166718705.jpg

049_49.JPG_thumb

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

1) a spinning turn table you can use to lay down perfect beads  of glue on the speaker

2) proper epoxy (some people like CA cuz it dries fast) and rubber based glue for surround/dome (Ive used black engine RTV and works damn good)

3) shims to pefectly center the coil, gap the coil from the pole piece/ top plate -If you have calipers which is a must have, you should have shims that are .010" 0.020" 0.030"

So, I can basically repair any speaker that I have? Cuz I have an old pair of JBL Power GT series GT102 10's that I wanted to fix.

Specs: Single 4-ohm

Nom. Pwr: 130W

Peak Pwr: 260W

Sens.: 94 dB

Mag. weight:40 oz

2" single voice coil

Probelm: One of them sounds like something keeps bouncing around in the dustcap. That shit just irrates the hell out of me. And I want to fix it.

What kind of tools will I need to fix it? It doesn't have any screws on it to take apart. How do I go about fixing the sub?

THE GRADUATE 10:18:2007

i seriosly doubt your going to be able to get a recone at this point but you can get someone to make one for you... i knwo fi has done a few oddball recones

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

i seriosly doubt your going to be able to get a recone at this point but you can get someone to make one for you... i knwo fi has done a few oddball recones

ive seen RE recones from them (i would hope they could do RE ones,) and I've seen 1 set of Ascendant recones

ya alot of re recones.... but i think hes done a bramma b4 along with a couple others

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

sorry there was a 5hr delay between posts, I had to drive daughter for school orientation for second semester. I posted more pics, but I guess I logged off before they finished uploading. But unless you contact JBL tech support, finding recones for those speakers will be damn near impossible... If you did recone them, outside JBL, the specs will be all off. Cone weight, surround desity, cone Fs, and Spider Fs/newtons, vc weight, winding width, wire gauge, former type will be all off.

But for speaker tear down, you will need a nice clean box cutter.

-alch or acetone, shop towels, double sided tape popsicle/coffee stirrer sticks- all for cleaning the motor, No dirt or debris can be in the VC/magnet gap A plastic caliper with digital display, and a height pin on the caliper, so you can measure the VC proper height setting

Got to ruff up all glue surfaces for best glue bondage

BTW, if anyone wants any, I have about 30- 10" carbon fiber speaker cones, rubber surround 2" vc opening, and about  225 12" Carbon fiber/rubber surround cones for sale

:whistling:

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

sorry there was a 5hr delay between posts, I had to drive daughter for school orientation for second semester. I posted more pics, but I guess I logged off before they finished uploading. But unless you contact JBL tech support, finding recones for those speakers will be damn near impossible... If you did recone them, outside JBL, the specs will be all off. Cone weight, surround desity, cone Fs, and Spider Fs/newtons, vc weight, winding width, wire gauge, former type will be all off.

But for speaker tear down, you will need a nice clean box cutter.

-alch or acetone, shop towels, double sided tape popsicle/coffee stirrer sticks- all for cleaning the motor, No dirt or debris can be in the VC/magnet gap A plastic caliper with digital display, and a height pin on the caliper, so you can measure the VC proper height setting

Got to ruff up all glue surfaces for best glue bondage

BTW, if anyone wants any, I have about 30- 10" carbon fiber speaker cones, rubber surround 2" vc opening, and about  225 12" Carbon fiber/rubber surround cones for sale

:whistling:

Damn that's a lot of repairing. I think I'll just stick with these and find a way to get fixed. But thanks anyway.

THE GRADUATE 10:18:2007